Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inspiration for new speed loader carrier build?

I recently acquired a boat load of the reproduction SL Variant speed loaders in 44 magnum for competing in ICORE this year in the classic division. Unfortunately, these are not compatible with my previous home made speed loader holder, which I designed to securely clamp the rounds rather than the loader itself. I need to build a new one. I already have the kydex and little bits. I have a few ideas for the design, but I'm wondering what small fraction of shooters who primarily compete in classic division use. I have found a few references online to competition gear that is no longer in production, but can't find anything even for K/L frame guns to draw inspiration from. I can't even find high enough resolution photos to understand the designs.

I was wondering if my fellow classic division shooters could post a photo of their speed loader holder setups to give me a better idea of what direction I should go.

20240325_193838.jpg

I don't have a picture, but I built some out of PVC fittings before. Took a female adapter that was close dremeled the threads a touch, dremeled a groove on the side so I can put it on the belt with a zip tie, and done.

Posted (edited)

I'm mostly dead set on trying to fabricate it. My last one turned out pretty good, and the only reason I need to replace it is that the SL variants don't hold the rounds as firmly straight as the Safariland Comp1. I need one that will simultaneously grip the body of the loader and have a floor for the rounds to sit on so it can't be pushed through. I figure I'll add an L shaped piece of kydex to my current style of setup in the absence of better inspiration. I have rivets, screws, surgical tubing based tension screws and a toaster oven, so I don't exactly have the gear the "real" kydex holster makers use.

I am also planning to fabricate it to be quick detatch, since my long term plan is to shoot both classic and limited 6 in the same match, which will require me to swap setups quickly. I have a similar plan to build moon clip holders using posts from revolver supply. The plan is to make both quick detachable using mounts I recently discovered from Double Alpha.

I also recently bought a J-frame that I intend to become a backup/lazy carry gun. I intend to also build a speed loader setup for this so I can shoot a match or two a year to see what I can do with it. So I need to build a similar setup for that too.

Edited by Couch-Commando

I quite like the holders that I bought some years ago. I can no longer find them, and there's no brand marked on them. A European product, I believe.

They are one piece of pretty rigid plastic. One way up they fit L-frame speedloaders, the other way they fit K-frame size. The speedloader is inserted by pushing it straight down in to the holder. The "ears" surround the speedloader partially, and will flex just enough that you can release by pulling them horizontally away from your body.

There's a slot that can be used to thread the holder onto a belt. Or the slot can be used to mount two holders onto a Tek-Lok belt attachment.

I hope I make sense...

DSC_0508.JPG.17fc921b9c29f5669240d429b97438b7.JPG

DSC_0509.JPG.54a3496ddc7b114881511de9e819fee9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 11:03 AM, pskys2 said:

A lot are now using strong magnets to hold speed loaders, they will run a screw up the bottom middle to attach.

Interesting. If I could secure a steel washer to the bottom of my speed loader, I wonder if a magnetic moon clip holder would work? I just had a cylinder cut for moon clips, and if I could run moon clips and speed loaders on the same device, that would simplify logistics.

2 hours ago, Couch-Commando said:

Interesting. If I could secure a steel washer to the bottom of my speed loader, I wonder if a magnetic moon clip holder would work? I just had a cylinder cut for moon clips, and if I could run moon clips and speed loaders on the same device, that would simplify logistics.

In comp iii they run a screw up the middle underneath.  Might not work with russians though.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:56 PM, pskys2 said:

In comp iii they run a screw up the middle underneath.  Might not work with russians though.

The SL variants have a brass screw running through a plastic disk that forms the "pusher" that is depressed to release the rounds. So running another steel screw won't work, but I'm thinking if I can epoxy a steel washer to it, it will have the same effect. I'm going to buy some plastic rod to experiment with, since if I mess it up I don't want to destroy my 40 dollar speed loaders. If this works, I'll be golden.

I sent an email to Midwest Competition Works. The owner is actually experimenting with the exact same idea with the same speed loaders. According to him, the magnets aren't strong enough to securely hold the loader after gluing a washer to the pusher, since it is too top heavy, which is a bummer. I think I'm still going to order it and experiment for myself. If that fails, I found that Bladetech sells a quick detach belt mounting fork that uses the same footprint as tek lok, so if I use that, I should be able to fabricate another pouch that I can swap out in seconds. 

I just ordered the Midwest Competition moon clip rack. I also just loaded up some dummy rounds with round nose bullets that came in today. You guys aren't kidding about the importance of round nosed bullets. The difference is amazing!

Finding rn for a 44 is a pain, even worse with lighter bullets.

Are you planning on making the April 28 icore at mc?

I'm curious to see your invention.