Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320 XFive muzzle flip

TexasShootR

Got this gun a few years ago after giving up my 2011 open gun, about the time Carry Optics got hot. After shooting my first match with it I realized that this Sig was a different beast with respect to muzzle flip. Since then I have more or less stop shooting matches but I have continued to practice shooting the Sig, trying to tame the muzzle flip. I have to say I haven't been very successful. 

For example, shooting at 4 targets, 2 rounds each, 15 yard out with timer and pistol holstered. After a couple of different days on the range, taken my best time from multiple groups fired, I have these split times, 1.42 .43 .36 .32 .36 .34 .34 .31 (3.88). With this it's all Alpha's and Charlie's no 2's. As I shoot it seems an eternity for the sight (red dot) to come back to target so I feel that second shot needs to be fired, thus the Charlie. 

I have made a couple modifications to the pistol, installed a tungsten guide rod and a Keres Trigger (which made a big improvement). Long story short I'm starting to think that this is the best this pistol is going to get with what I'm firing through it, which is 147gn Bayou Bullets with 126PF. With all that said, am I hoping for to much as far as wanting doubles at 15 yards with the Sig or is there something someone could suggest that would help me with the muzzle flip/dip?

Thanks,

Perhaps, being an old Open shooter, you're not exercising "visual patience" at a rate needed for the non-compensated gun.  Your Open gun undoubtedly tracked differently than this one.  Your brain is screaming "COME ON NOW!!", wanting the dot to be back where it was, but physics precludes that.

An additional thought:  147s at a low Power Factor are very "lopey", IMHO.  The gun feels like it takes forever to cycle to me.  I run 124s at about a 132 PF.  They are snappier, but I don't feel like I am waiting on the gun as much. 

With folks that I have coached, I have found the same to be true in former Open shooters and with younger shooters who grew up playing video games.  They both have very fast eye speeds...which also explains the popularity of CO & LO with the young people.

Appreciate that Braxton1, can't argue with you at all on the "Old open shooter". I had considered the smaller bullet but was thinking the snappier the more the flip. If I wasn't so competitive in nature I wouldn't care to much about slow times but I think if I tried, it would be hard to make it out of B class with what I'm doing now.

1 hour ago, Braxton1 said:

Perhaps, being an old Open shooter, you're not exercising "visual patience" at a rate needed for the non-compensated gun.  Your Open gun undoubtedly tracked differently than this one.  Your brain is screaming "COME ON NOW!!", wanting the dot to be back where it was, but physics precludes that.

An additional thought:  147s at a low Power Factor are very "lopey", IMHO.  The gun feels like it takes forever to cycle to me.  I run 124s at about a 132 PF.  They are snappier, but I don't feel like I am waiting on the gun as much. 

With folks that I have coached, I have found the same to be true in former Open shooters and with younger shooters who grew up playing video games.  They both have very fast eye speeds...which also explains the popularity of CO & LO with the young people.

My experience with the 147s is similar. I experimented in my 6" 1911 and to go down in PF I can actually feel the slide cycle at the low point. I shoot almost all 135 gr Bayou now. The recoil impulse is a bit quicker which brings the sight back on more quickly. I really like the 135 for the 9mm. I feel that it is the perfect bullet for me! YMMV.

There is a combo somewhere that will work for you. Keep testing and you will find it.

Thanks Dr. Phil, this question probably doesn't belong here but asking anyway. If I go with a lighter bullet should I use a slower burning powder or a hotter burning powder and should I use a lighter or stiffer recoil spring for better control? Newby questions but to old to care, Thanks

I use the same powder for all of my loads. Win 231. I vary the charge a bit for different weight bullets to stay around 130PF. I shoot 3.5 gr with 125 and 135 and 3.2 with 147 although I rarely use 147 anymore.  My 6" 1911 using 4 gr of 231 was getting 135 PF out of the 6" barrel. 147s don't shoot well in shorter chambers from what I have found. 135 shoot much like 125.

I use 10 or 11 lb recoil springs which lessen the muzzle flip a bit.

1 minute ago, Dr. Phil said:

I use the same powder for all of my loads. Win 231. I vary the charge a bit for different weight bullets to stay around 130PF. I shoot 3.5 gr with 125 and 135 and 3.2 with 147 although I rarely use 147 anymore.  My 6" 1911 using 4 gr of 231 was getting 135 PF out of the 6" barrel. 147s don't shoot well in shorter chambers from what I have found. 135 shoot much like 125.

I use 10 or 11 lb recoil springs which lessen the muzzle flip a bit.

👍Appreciated

4.7 320 slide works better for me than the 5" legion and using 124s.

147's are too slow feeling. same sensation I get in 2011s.

But yes, you have to realize carry optic guns are not going to handle like 2011 open guns.

Edited by mrvip27