Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Geco Hexagon 9mm lightstrikes

Joyblast

Hey!  I bought some Geco hexagon 9mm. I Have shot it on and off and today I shot about 200 rounds and got about 10 lightstrikes in a da/sa shadow 2 with new springs from CGW. It is cleaned, oiled, 11.5# hammer spring. 3 of those 10 rounds didnt fire after trying again several times I have also tried the ammo in a nearly stock glock45 with a pretty heavy striker spring (red one) and same result, lots of lightstrikes. What is the issue?

The glock eats everything, regular geco, s&b, winchester, military ammo with hard primers and my kind of sloppy reloads without any problems. If I get a lightstrike in the shadow usually another DA pull sets it off. Ammo looks good, primers are seated flush or slightly below which shouldnt be a problem since I also have the extended firing pin from CGW. 

1 hour ago, Joyblast said:

It is cleaned, oiled, 11.5# hammer spring.

Extended firing pin and spring from CGW?

Never used this ammo, however my Shadow 2s with the full CGW parts (trigger, sear, hammer, EFP, Disco, polish) and 11.5# spring sets off basically everything. Even when really dirty.

1 minute ago, HesedTech said:

Extended firing pin and spring from CGW?

Never used this ammo, however my Shadow 2s with the full CGW parts (trigger, sear, hammer, EFP, Disco, polish) and 11.5# spring sets off basically everything. Even when really dirty.

Yes I use the full kit from CGW except for the reach reduction. It must be the ammo but I find it really weird bebause its supposed to be match grade ammo

It worked great in my 1911s at the 2017 World Shoot and I haven't had a problem shooting the leftovers a few here and there in other pistols although that's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

Sometimes once the primer is struck and not fired it will break or crumble the mixture pellet and then it’s done. No amount of smacking will set it off. I had several in a batch of Rem primers I once had. The revolver I used them in didn’t hit dead center and rendered quite a few inert. When I pulled the bullet and dumped the powder you could see the yellowish powder mixed in and in the bottom of the case. 
I also think that “match grade” is many times a sales pitch. 🙄

Edited by Farmer
Added

38 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

I have heard that the quality of Geco Hexagon has gone downhill since 2023, as a result many of the german PPC (1500) shooters have stopped using it.

I bought this ammo in 2021 I think or 2022 

It was incredibly accurate in my 9mm 1911s at the World Shoot.  So much so I didn't bother bringing my own handloads with HAPs that shot great but not quite as well.

Sad to hear it's gone downhill.

For what it's worth, Geco provided official match ammo for the European handgun Championships in Greece last year and there were quite a few reports of competitors having similar problems. Definitely seems to me like their quality control has suffered.

31 minutes ago, JonasAberg said:

For what it's worth, Geco provided official match ammo for the European handgun Championships in Greece last year and there were quite a few reports of competitors having similar problems. Definitely seems to me like their quality control has suffered.

Yes, at least one batch was withdrawn because of either light strikes or squibs.