Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LO- Bull barrel vs island barrel vs sight block, etc

For 2011 limited optics…I would like to hear experience related opinions on the pros and cons of each and what feels best and returns to zero better for you. The more I shoot the more I lean towards a slightly snappier faster to return gun over a super heavy slower to cycle slide/gun combo. 

I've tried everything from a 9mm Edge, 5" and 4.25" Prodigy/Clones to a 5" bushing-barrel Eagle with and without metal grips.

Fastest cycle time will probably be a 5" bushing barrel and light slide or a 4.25".

The heavy guns shoot plush but don't transition as cleanly.

1 hour ago, shred said:

I've tried everything from a 9mm Edge, 5" and 4.25" Prodigy/Clones to a 5" bushing-barrel Eagle with and without metal grips.

Fastest cycle time will probably be a 5" bushing barrel and light slide or a 4.25".

Thanks! Also, what’s your opinion on steel vs aluminum or plastic grips? I’ve always used steel for open. 

IME, aluminum grips crack sooner or later.  I just stay with plastic and heavy up elsewhere if I want something in that weight.  

If you like heavy, get steel grips.   I don't think there's a perfect setup for everyone.  Heavy guns shoot softer and flatter, light ones transition better.  Figure out which you like and what works best on the clock and targets and work from there.

I prefer steel grips on 2011s because they balance the gun on my weak hand index finger.  Every one of mine balances there.   Since it is balanced and the weight is between you hands, transitions are quick.

I prefer lighter bullets because slide action is faster and the sights some back quicker.  I had been using 124s because I got a super deal on them.  Now that I'm out, I'll go back to 115s.

On my journey, I too, have settled on the lighter bullets. I’ve been using 124, but I think I’m gonna try out some 115’s. I handled a steel frame Staccato P with an aluminum grip this week and it felt fantastic. When you say that the grips eventually crack, are you thinking 20 or 30,000 rounds? 

No idea how long they last with minor ammo.  The ones I've experienced had not been very durable for major Open, but those guns break a lot of things that don't otherwise normally.

I messed with 115's in CO last year and they did ok, but I ended up back at 125s.  115's with heavy brass grips was interesting if you don't mind the weight (yeah, even centered in your hand there's a difference).

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shred said:

No idea how long they last with minor ammo.  The ones I've experienced had not been very durable for major Open, but those guns break a lot of things that don't otherwise normally.

I messed with 115's in CO last year and they did ok, but I ended up back at 125s.  115's with heavy brass grips was interesting if you don't mind the weight (yeah, even centered in your hand there's a difference).

I’m not in a position to get a LO gun yet but am getting ready. Still have a lot of loaded 124g ammo.

The draw of a slight block gun is the smaller and lighter slide. I would imagine it would be nice. 

Edited by Posvar

Just now, shred said:

Yeah, it'll be like shooting a 4.25" gun for slide speed.

I had a couple sight block limited guns a few years ago and loved them. They were tungsten sleeved barrels but the slide action was super fast. 

I'm curious on the bullet weights used. I have mostly shot 45s. For 9mm minor it seemed that a lot of shooters liked the softer feel of 147gr bullets. Shooting LO now and I've been using 135gr coated bullets. Thought they were a compromise without going all the way to the 147s. Have they waned in popularity? It seems I see a lot more shooters using the lighter bullets these days. 

4 minutes ago, MHicks said:

I'm curious on the bullet weights used. I have mostly shot 45s. For 9mm minor it seemed that a lot of shooters liked the softer feel of 147gr bullets. Shooting LO now and I've been using 135gr coated bullets. Thought they were a compromise without going all the way to the 147s. Have they waned in popularity? It seems I see a lot more shooters using the lighter bullets these days. 

I started shooting IDPA years ago and everybody wanted heavy bullets and I always thought they felt good but wondered why the slide was slower to return. I think the majority of people shoot 124 or in that range now. 124 is a really nice all around feel and speed. 

9 hours ago, shred said:

Do you think a sightblock is really useful for LO?

• 2 weeks later...

i use my Atlas Artemis(sight block) for LO i like the sight block for me it keeps the gun very flat and that's what i like. i think all of this is personal preference and if possible shoot as many of these variants as possible to see what feels the best to YOU. also recoil spring tuning on guns can make a world of difference with the competition ammo you use. like most said 124g ammo is what most run its usually lowest PF factory ammo. 

12 minutes ago, beastmode_05 said:

i use my Atlas Artemis(sight block) for LO i like the sight block for me it keeps the gun very flat and that's what i like. i think all of this is personal preference and if possible shoot as many of these variants as possible to see what feels the best to YOU. also recoil spring tuning on guns can make a world of difference with the competition ammo you use. like most said 124g ammo is what most run its usually lowest PF factory ammo. 

Thanks!