Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended slide stop for 2011??

Just got a MPA DS9 IDPA 2011 and forgot that I used an extended slide stop on my Dan Wesson PM9. 
I plan to use this in IDPA where slide lock reloads are the norm. 
This is my first 2011 so forgive my ignorance. Do any 1911 extended slide stops fit 2011s? I saw some people mention the Triarc slide stops but they’re out of stock. 
Just wondering what my options are and I understand I may need a smith to fit it. 
Thanks

my 2011 experience is with STI's  they use the same slide stops as a single stack. They are caliber specific..
That being said, I found extended slide stops more trouble than they are worth. Subject to being bumped at the wrong time

Someone mentioned elsewhere that the easiest thing to do is just run the slide lock with your support hand thumb… I hadn’t tried that, and yeah, it’s much better that way. (Apologies if you are already aware of this.)

Meanwhile, slide stops extended in one direction or another are available from the usual suspects: atlas, Ed brown, Wilson, EGW, Cheely, etc. I keep using Ben Stoeger pro shop and shooter’s connection to get overviews of what parts are available, since they seem stock most of the major brands, so would check those sites under their 2011 -> slide stop sections.

As for fitting… for slide stops, it seems like ordering the correct diameter and pin length gets you most of the way there, with some potential work required on the hold open lug, clearance from the slide, and corners/back face. (Was just reading a bit about this in Kuhnnhausen’s books yesterday, but brain refuses to return more information than that.)

Pin diameter is the important one.  FWIW 2011 slide stops (the pin part)  are quite a bit longer than 1911 slide stop pins.

There's usually some tuning to do on the back where the plunger hits depending how you want them to work and maybe the internal lug.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 10:49 AM, shred said:

Pin diameter is the important one.  FWIW 2011 slide stops (the pin part)  are quite a bit longer than 1911 slide stop pins.

There's usually some tuning to do on the back where the plunger hits depending how you want them to work and maybe the internal lug.

A 1911 slide stop and a '2011' slide stop are (should be) the same length/size/everything.  The only 'wider' parts in a "normal" 2011 are the trigger and magazine release (although I should qualify that as I'm sure somebody makes something custom that goes beyond 'spec' sizes).  

The pin diameter is important, but EGW makes a couple of different sizes if you need, and keep in mind that the pin and barrel may have been fit together (well the barrel lugs would have been fit to whatever-spec size slide stop).  The 'spec' number should be .200, but it's pretty common in lower-priced 1911/2011 models to have a smaller pin diameter (.195-.198 seems to be pretty common).  

The difference between calibers is on the magazine side of the slide stop, so the 9/38/etc will have a different design to catch the magazine.

on the MPA you should be able to get the triarc extended to work most need some fitting i would say if you are patient and a little mechanically inclined its definately doable yourself the pin diameter and length are what you would need to be sure are compatible