Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 3031 Keg breaks apart.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Had an unopened keg of IMR 3031 crumble. Was in my dad shop (HVAC) for 30+ years, traveled to my shop (HVAC) last year and sat on top of my safe since then. I would assume it is all bad and cannot be separated from the insulation. Here's the crazy part, I have another unopened keg of IMR 3031 that was purchased at the same time and stored right next to it un-affected. I might need to transfer it to another empty keg of a different material ASAP.  Thoughts?

3031.jpg

How does the powder smell? Is that rust I'm seeing in the photo on the top/bottom of the keg?  Alternately, instead of smelling it, see if there is any red dust in the powder. This is a decay product and is slightly toxic, so you don't want to be inhaling it. The red dust is most commonly seen when pouring spoiled powder into a powder measure or decanting into a smaller container.

If the powder is spoiled, it may have an acrid odor and it will rust steel.

Do you know when the powder was purchased?

That's a whole lot of rust. The rust dust is magnetic, right? That's what powder does to metal when it goes bad. Wear some type of respiration protection and crack that sucker open. The powder's probably unusable but it's worth a look. Post an update after you open and inspect the contents.

I had some IMR4320 that took on a rusty look but it didn’t have the acrid smell to it. I rolled it around on a towel and removed most of the rust and loaded it up and it shot fine. It wasn’t that much though.