Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rim-Fire plate rack fabrication ideas

Lower40

Want to build a Bianchi spec plate rack for 22 rimfire only. Have 8" plates (1/4" thick).  Have built racks with thicker plates for center fire but looking for suggestions to mount the plates so they will fall properly.  Mounting brackets, calibration capabilities maybe?  Obviously have welders, metal etc. Any suggestions with pics would be appreciated. Thanks

BTW:  Re-setting plates one at a time is OK.

Edited by Lower40

I have a rimfire rack. 6" plates. It sits behind the 8" centerfire rack. Lighter plates are easier! 1/4 inch is perfect.

They all can be knocked over with rimfire. You can drill and tap a hole centered with the bottom of the plates to lift the front and make the plate easier to drop. It really only takes about 1/2 to 1 turn. I used 3/8 course thread bolts. Too much adjustment and the vibration will "volunteer" the other plates. Fine line there. I have seen a couple that have a small piece if flat steel welded to the bottom front for this adjustment. On my bowling pin rack (8 steel plates/pin shape) I put a 2x4 under the front legs of the sawhorses to tip them back for rimfire. That works too.

You can engineer about anything you want. The problem comes when you want to use it for a large number of shooters (match, etc.) because you don't want re-set issues while paid people are waiting.

Same here as Dr Phil.  Our plate racks we had 1/4" steel plates that could easily be replaced with the NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi) racks.  The .22 plates did have a bolt in to adjust and lock.  We also made a specific plate rack with 3" plates for .22's but they were the same steel thickness of the regular plate racks.  My brother and I practiced on these for the week before the Bianchi Cup just to be dialed in a little better.  All our competition rack could mix and match falling plates, Bowling Pins and Tombstones as well.  It was nice having 7 competition racks and 2 additional for magnum pistoles and the 3" .22 rack.  Had some amazing rattle battle matches shooting a ton of steel.  

We use Action Targets PT Plate Racks, they are adjustable so that the plates don't lean too far forward, they have no problem going down with rimfire pistols, or centerfire for that matter.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

We use Action Targets PT Plate Racks, they are adjustable so that the plates don't lean too far forward, they have no problem going down with rimfire pistols, or centerfire for that matter.

10-4...would like to see base mounting for one plate

We have a rimfire rack that is just a scaled down MGM rack. I believe the player are welded to pivot sleeves. Adjust set weight (lean) with a bolt. Works great.