Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a Para double stack 9mm - minor mistake - Can I DIY Smith my way out.

atxmatt

It started innocently enough. The old Para P12-45 sitting in my safe was getting NO use. I'd always wanted to build it up as a 9mm. So I started that process. Ordered a commander slide, tracked down all the top end parts, got a match barrel, fit that match barrel, shot gun. All went well. Some file work and lots of measuring, but it went well.

Bright idea, I saw a Para P14 frame (full size) on Gunbroker. I jumped on it. Only to discover it is unramped. My top end (as is currently) wont work. So I am left with a few options and need advice - Long term goal is a range gun that i can run suppressed.

• Try to unwind the gun broker sale OR sell it myself.
  • Find a real smith (not DIY like me) and get it milled for Para/Clark
  • DIY smith it - slow and steady with a 1/4" round file and lots of blue (in for a penny in for a pound)
  • Snag a cheap GI 9mm barrel and cut and thread it - sell my Para/clark ramped barrel.

pix223203844.jpg

Clark/Para/Lissner cuts are very easy to make.  Both of the required cuts are made using the same set-up (unlike Wilson/Nowlin cuts that initially require the frame to be in the mill horizontally and then turned vertically in a separate set-up).

Just about any machinist of medium skill can pull off a C/P cut.  The "gunsmithy" part comes in when setting the Vertical Impact Surface.  Schuemann Barrels has a great tutorial on their website about how to do that.

Definitely forget #3! Cutting a frame for a ramped barrel is NOT something you can do with files and patience! A decent gunsmith with a milling machine can knock it out pretty easily though.

"local" smith replied that he can do it for $75. He's an hour away by car, but that may still be cheaper than all the FFL transfers and shipping. That said, I can also pick up a cheap barrel for 100.

My next concern is making sure that this age of Para is actually compatible with modern para mags. 

I never got my non ramped 9mm to run on anything but FMJ,, may or may not be a big deal to you.. Ran winchester whitebox, and similar reloads just fine though...
I never had a gunsmith, local or other wise not destroy my guns.. even one recommended on here. Simple sight install completely butchered 2 Hipowers. I cant even look at them.  so I either do it myself or it doesnt get done.
Your top end may or may not fit. frame probably wont be exactly the same and you may end up with lock up issues.
Id sell the frame as is,, no ramped 45 acp is easier to deal with,, World has moved on to STI style frames, and para parts are getting hard to come by.

3 hours ago, atxmatt said:

"local" smith replied that he can do it for $75. He's an hour away by car, but that may still be cheaper than all the FFL transfers and shipping.

My next concern is making sure that this age of Para is actually compatible with modern para mags. 

The Clark/Para ramped barrel cut is fairly easy to do and $75 is a fair price. It's basically two cuts and as someone else here pointed out, once the frame is set up both cuts can be made without disturbing the setup, as opposed to the Wilson/Nowlin cut. I have a fairly early Para that started out as a 45 and I converted it to a ramped barrel 40 S&W and I have had no problems with any of the Para mags fitting. I have the Mecgar and STI and have used a friend's original Para mags. They all fit that frame just fine. The ramped barrel will definitely feed better than a standard barrel and you have more case support for higher pressure loads that you don't have with a non-ramped barrel.