Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Magazine for PDP

Khaot1c

I'm still working my way through the Walther ecosystem.

The picture of the pistol on the MBX website looks like a PPQ.

Is there mag compatibility between the PPQ/Q(whatever)  and the PDP? 

More specifically, will the MBX magazine work in the full-size PDP Match Steel Frame?

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_Optic_Walther

Could be a good option while we wait for other vendors to catch up with mag wells and extensions for this model.

Yes, I know ZR Tactical makes an extension that works with the OEM mag well. I have one.. 

I also know that I will lose those tiny screws when i have to take the mag apart to clean it as many of the places I attend matches have dirt/clay/sand in the bays.

• 3 weeks later...

I made an account just to answer this! 

Happy to say that yes, this will work in the Walther PDP steel frame. with factory 124gr ammo.  Tested Geco,BlazerBrass and Federal.  Tested with 23 in the mag, 1 in the chamber.  No failures.   

Thanks to Paul at Protective Edge Training in Michigan for testing!

4 hours ago, MickB2A said:

I made an account just to answer this! 

Happy to say that yes, this will work in the Walther PDP steel frame. with factory 124gr ammo.  Tested Geco,BlazerBrass and Federal.  Tested with 23 in the mag, 1 in the chamber.  No failures.   

Thanks to Paul at Protective Edge Training in Michigan for testing!

Thanks for clarifying this!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 3:34 AM, ParrytheWind said:

Thanks for clarifying this!

I'd call or message MBX to confirm. I bought some Canik mags from them for my Rival-S and they didn't function   When you find out directly from them for sure, please post.

Edited by telligentgunner

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I received my MBX mag from Benstoeger Proshop. I will put some rounds through it today.

I am concerned about the mag, as it gets extremely close to the ejector. It doesn’t appear to touch it, but it looks like it could if the mag was ‘over inserted’ during a match. If the mag runs well, I’ll use it at matches, but I won’t use it to reload the gun…

I’ll try to add a photo later from the PC.

8 hours ago, Chutist said:

@Apexer 

Well?..... We're waiting.... 😅 ( Hopefully you've seen Caddyshack ) 

How'd it run? 😉

I had limited time at the range, only ran a mag full through it. So not enough data yet…

I asked the OP about his experiences.  He stated it is his first mag and uses the Walther with extensions after that.  I asked him to join back in here and give an update.

Mine got here Thursday and i loaded it as instructed.  I could only get 23 in it.  Left overnight, Unloaded reloaded and left it again. Unloaded and reloaded it a couple of times today.  Today I could get 24.  

I put five cycles (load to 24, shot to empty) though the MBX mag. 100+ Rounds just with it.

I loaded from slidelock and let it strip the 24th round off.  No issues of any kind.  

Same goes for 18 round factory mags refitted with Henning Base pads (specific to the steel frame) built up with the MBX Springs and followers.  Oddly it was easier to get 24 rounds in these mags than the factory MBX mag.  

I think all of them will be easy to reload running 23 rounds.  I did try the build up mags to see if they'd lock in with 24 (slide down already), tight but they did...

Gun ran like a top with ALL the mags.  It's stock except for the 507 Comp and a ZR tactical captive guide rod with 15LB spring. It had about 75 rounds total at the start today and I put about 350 through it today - 115 coated reloads and 115 Blazer.  As soon as my GX Products holster gets here I'll start shooting matches with it! 😃

Edited by Chutist

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a local match, and got a range day in with the new mag. 

I initially could only get 22 in the mag, but have left it loaded a few times now, can now get 23 in it. 23 in the mag is loose enough that i can seat the mag in the gun, while in battery. Will try to get 24 in it later today.

I plan to order a few more of these mags.

One ‘problem’ i noticed at my local match, the mag is narrower than a factory mag. I have CR Speed mag pouches, set up for shooting my Q5 SF in production. I have to crank the pouch screw down to even remotely hold the mag, will probably need to find the CR Speed shims to change them… 

MXB Mag Field report - Okay I’ve got 1K+ through the new PDP SF Match.  The MBX has been in my 6 mag rotation and used just like the mags I built up.  I continue to have a hard time getting 24 rounds in the mag most of the time.  I can get 23 reliably  The Built mags will take 24 every time, no problem.  Both will work - go in - lock - function with 24 but of course it’s TIGHT.  Nothing that I’d want to try to reload on the clock.  So I load 23 and that works fine.  

So far no malfunctions of any kind with the Walther - no mag issues - no gun issues.  The MBX mags run fine, the built mags ( Stock tube, MBX Spring & Follower, Henning BP) run fine.  

The MBX mag is a touch smaller in external dimension, you can feel it drawing from the mag pouch.  Like @Apexer.  I've adjusted one of my DAA Racer pouches for it, but that makes that holder tight with the build mags.  I does work just fine in the Henning Magnetic pouch I have in first position.

Going forward I’ll likely just build mags.  That said if there is a crazy Black Friday sale at MBX, I might buy a couple more!   

• 1 month later...

Shot a 10 stage match over the weekend. 

Used MBX Mags as my Starter, loaded to 23. Reloaded into built mags for the Overinsertion concern. 

I have a couple thousand rounds on the gun now and at least half of those from the MBX mags. 

There have been no issues from the MBX magazines or built mags using MBX guts.

I've been shooting 147gr home rolled with the RMR Match Winner and Sport Pistol powder.