Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ticks

Vic

All this talk of cylinder spinning reminds me of days when I was serious about golf. I had a pretty bad habit of excessive waggles. In fact my coach in high school used to call me Sergio if anyone plays golf you understand. When I started shooting competitively I always used to shake my left wrist to slide down my watch. I mean how stupid could I be after the first shot the watch is back to where it was. Oh the dopy things we do.   

34 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

All this talk of cylinder spinning reminds me of days when I was serious about golf. I had a pretty bad habit of excessive waggles. In fact my coach in high school used to call me Sergio if anyone plays golf you understand. When I started shooting competitively I always used to shake my left wrist to slide down my watch. I mean how stupid could I be after the first shot the watch is back to where it was. Oh the dopy things we do.   

Ummm kind of like Norton playing the piano?

9 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Farmer:

Reading into rituals. 

Have you ever done something to stop some sort of negative thought and or to get you back on track?  For example, after working for ten or so hours, you have to face a deadlined piece of equipment.  You feel the exhaustion and your mind reinforces the feeling.  However you know you must fix the piece of equipment.  So, to stop the negative thoughts and feelings, you stamp your feet, slap your arms, or something of the sort and say to yourself -- 'tough...am getting it fixed before I do another thing.'  So you get the gear running without any sort of problem. 

That slapping or stamping would be something like a ritual -- not precisely because technically I guess it would be a physical cue but it does what a ritual does -- clears the mind of anxiety and intrusive thoughts and gives a person confidence they can do something and do it smoothly, quickly, and perfectly.  

Getting stuff prepared the day before probably isn't a ritual.  It is something you do because you want some time to make sure you got everything you need to compete.  It is a smart thing and I find prepping the day or even two days before an event to relieve stress and let me focus on the things I must do at the event to succeed.  

A ritual would be something you would do just before competing to clear the mind and let you 'get er done'.  

GG

I guess my ritual is to do a lot of cussing before I go get my tools. 

Just now, Farmer said:

Just now, Farmer said:

That would be a use of 'cue words'.  He, he.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:26 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Mine is swearing like a sailor while taking 20 mins to find a tool for a 1 min job 😉

Ha!

At least you had the tool for the job!  Wish I was that fortunate!

GG