Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue with weak hand grip

Over the last few years, for some unknown reason, I've started having issues with my weak hand grip during multishot shooting.  If I don't think about it, I will loosen my grip during a stage and start to have 5 0'clock hits as opposed to where I was aiming.  This wasn't a thing back in my Infinity days with 1.5# triggers, but it's a real problem now.  I've finally started a fairly consistent dry fire program again, for the first time in 10 years, so maybe this will help get me lines out.  If I "think" about it, it's hard to shoot out of my sub-conscience like we prefer.

Any ideas to help speed this along? 

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

I am always mindful of the my off-hand grip pressure when dry firing.  I have found if I am no diligent maintaining the proper grip pressure that it suffers during competition.  Meaning you will not be able to do more than 15-20 minutes of dry fire per session.  Your forearm should be smoked.  If I have longer dry fire sessions, I am not gripping the gun properly and it allows me subconscious to think a lackadaisical grip is ok.  

I do find when I am not on top of my dryfire, my proper grip suffers during competition.

38 minutes ago, Nile said:

How old are you?

do you exercise ?

have you consider hand/wrist exercises? 

55.  5'9" 200.  I have been a gym rat for my entire adult life.  It's not a strength issue.  Not that I couldn't develop my grip strength more, but I think it's a "mind" thing.  I usually don't notice it happening while shooting, but my mind is thinking about the shooting.  But, I actually did catch myself doing it in a stage on Sunday and corrected it on the fly.....I think I just need to think more about the grip during dry fire and it should correct itself.

3 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am always mindful of the my off-hand grip pressure when dry firing.  I have found if I am no diligent maintaining the proper grip pressure that it suffers during competition.  Meaning you will not be able to do more than 15-20 minutes of dry fire per session.  Your forearm should be smoked.  If I have longer dry fire sessions, I am not gripping the gun properly and it allows me subconscious to think a lackadaisical grip is ok.  

I do find when I am not on top of my dryfire, my proper grip suffers during competition.

I think this is my issue right here.

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Over the last few years, for some unknown reason, I've started having issues with my weak hand grip during multishot shooting.  If I don't think about it, I will loosen my grip during a stage and start to have 5 0'clock hits as opposed to where I was aiming.  This wasn't a thing back in my Infinity days with 1.5# triggers, but it's a real problem now.  I've finally started a fairly consistent dry fire program again, for the first time in 10 years, so maybe this will help get me lines out.  If I "think" about it, it's hard to shoot out of my sub-conscience like we prefer.

It sounds more like when you are aware that you are loosening your grip, your response is to tense up and start pulling shots low right (assuming you are shooting left handed)