Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Guys, Eyesight, Shaking, and Mostly Accuracy Standard I Strive For

I am 77.  In local matches with RFRO I generally finish in the top 10 overall.  My eyesight is very mature!  I don't shake much with the rifle, but pistols are a different story.  

I have a standard for accuracy called, "One Minute of Paper Plate."  I set out a target with a paper plate on it at 17 yards.  If I can put 5 shots on the plate quickly, I consider the rifle sighted in.

I do the same for USPSA PCC and pistols.  I mostly shoot PCC in USPSA, but lately switched to single stack just for fun.  I am just not fast enough on my feet now to excel at USPSA (I made Limited A with a .45 high cap back in the early 2000's) to excel anymore.  I think I enjoy USPSA more now that I don't care how I do.  (That was an official lie - I do like to finish in the top half).

That said, I find Steel Challenge to be more fun.  I just replaced my right knee.  Left knee to follow later in the year.  I will still be able to shoot steel even soon after the surgeries, since I don't have to move.  

In the words of my gunsmith, "The older I am, the better I used to be."

Shooting is just so damn much fun!!!!

I'm a casual gamer who uses competition for fun and to pick up the skills competition has to offer for the PD my training has taught me. So I have a blast! Show up with the gun I brought and tell them to put me in the correct category. I don't pre-plan a stage. I shoot what shows up when the timer starts. Safety and no shots off target are first priority. No prepping the trigger or other bad habits. I have fun and do ok.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 10:00 AM, PractricalUse said:

I don't shake much with the rifle, but pistols are a different story.  

Yea...I can understand that...it's like I'm directing the orchestra.....it's all in the timing of getting the shot off :)

And here I kept thinking it was that back plate that was ducking just as I broke the shot.

You say it's me?  I'm not sure about that.....

22 hours ago, GKB said:

And here I kept thinking it was that back plate that was ducking just as I broke the shot.

You say it's me?  I'm not sure about that.....

I really hate those bobbing back plates.  They should be outlawed!!!!!!!