Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a Shell Holder Ever Wear Out?

LHshooter

This may be a dumb question but does a shell plate holder ever wear out to where the casing wiggles too much in the holder? I am not a high volume reloader and use a simple Lee single stage turret press. I have maybe reloaded 20k to 25k 9mm over the years. Now, it seems as though the casings wiggle quite a bit and sometimes cause problems especially when seating a primer. I often have to readjust the casing and push it back in the plate holder. I know this plate holder (R19) is for 9mm, 10mm and .40 cal but wonder if maybe after sliding thousands of casings in and out it has worn a few thousandths of an inch off the plate to where a 9mm casing is now too loose. It's a low $$ part bu5 figured I would ask before buying a replacement. 

I kind of doubt it, they are much much harder than brass. But I understand what you’re saying. I often wonder if the brass manufacturers are slightly cutting back on size to save material. I have some old old brass that fits tighter than some of the newer stuff. I also know that Lee shell holders are a bit looser than some of the other manufacturers. 

28 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I kind of doubt it, they are much much harder than brass. But I understand what you’re saying. I often wonder if the brass manufacturers are slightly cutting back on size to save material. I have some old old brass that fits tighter than some of the newer stuff. I also know that Lee shell holders are a bit looser than some of the other manufacturers. 

I could swear when I started reloading 10+ years ago the casings didn't wobble as much as they do now. Since the Lee shell holder is "universal " for 3 different calibers that may be part of the problem. I see that RCBS sells one just for 9mm. I may buy that to see if it holds the casing tighter. I understand all the shell holders fit other brand presses. 

Thanks for your insight.

41 minutes ago, LHshooter said:

Since the Lee shell holder is "universal " for 3 different calibers that may be part of the problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem. There is .030 difference in the case rim dimensions.

1 hour ago, LHshooter said:

Since the Lee shell holder is "universal " for 3 different calibers that may be part of the problem. I see that RCBS sells one just for 9mm. I may buy that to see if it holds the casing tighter. I understand all the shell holders fit other brand presses. 

This is exactly the problem.  Lee does not make a dedicated 9mm shell holder like other manufacturers.

Yes there’s a fair amount of variation between shell holders. Redding is pretty snug as is RCBS. I mis-read your post and thought you were talking about a shell plate and not a single holder. Yes I’ve noticed that on mine too especially when sizing. The worst I’ve had are the Frankfort Arsenals that come with the hand priming tool. Alignment with center is ok but up and down and tipping side to side is horrendous. They lean so bad that it inserts the primer at an angle. Fortunately the Lee holders fit it. 

Edited by Farmer
Spelling

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Yes I’ve noticed that on mine too especially when sizing. The worst I’ve had are the Frankfort Arsenals that come with the hand priming tool. Alignment with center is ok but up and down and tipping side to side is horrendous. They lean so bad that it inserts the primer at an angle. Fortunately the Lee holders fit it. 

That's been my big issue lately, the casing tipping and the primer inserting at an angle. I know it's been about 10 years since I started reloading but I swear I didn't have that issue long ago. I'm going to buy the RCBS shell holder and hope that fixes the problem.

Thanks everyone for your input.