Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Accurate 10mm Tanfo?

Reverendpdp

I do not consider myself an advanced shooter, but a serious amateur.  I’ve had a Witness Hunter in 10 mm (6 inch) for several years, and though I really like the action and the way it shoots I’m not all that impressed with its accuracy. Maybe I’m comparing it too much to my CZ Shadow 2? In any event I wanted to throw the question out there about other Tanfoglio. With all the different variations, it’s hard to know what separates one model from another: Stock, limited, Master, extreme, defiant, etc. Are there one or two models in the lineup that really stand out for accuracy with 10 mm? I don’t mind spending a few extra dollars for a high-end gun, but I don’t want to spend money and feel like it’s no better than my witness Hunter. Any advice?

It would be a good idea to take your 10mm to a range and test it on at least a 50yd target

from a rest to see what you have now. I have 3 Tango's all bull barrels, and they compete

nicely with my Les Baer 45, which cost more than 2x the Tango.

4 hours ago, Reverendpdp said:

I’m not all that impressed with its accuracy. Maybe I’m comparing it too much to my CZ Shadow 2? 

I have yet to handle and test a Tanfo that is NOT acceptably accurate at a certain distance except for a pistol in which the pistol had upwards of 80k round mileage and had a strict diet of fmj/cmj.

Do you load your 10mm ammo? 

Have you tested different brands of 10mm to see which one is more acceptable to you? 

What inaccuracies do you see? 

With the right load combination based on my experience across all models I have in my stable. I do not have to work too hard getting 3"-4" at 35-50yards. 

11 hours ago, Reverendpdp said:

I do not consider myself an advanced shooter, but a serious amateur.  I’ve had a Witness Hunter in 10 mm (6 inch) for several years, and though I really like the action and the way it shoots I’m not all that impressed with its accuracy. Maybe I’m comparing it too much to my CZ Shadow 2? In any event I wanted to throw the question out there about other Tanfoglio. With all the different variations, it’s hard to know what separates one model from another: Stock, limited, Master, extreme, defiant, etc. Are there one or two models in the lineup that really stand out for accuracy with 10 mm? I don’t mind spending a few extra dollars for a high-end gun, but I don’t want to spend money and feel like it’s no better than my witness Hunter. Any advice?

So you are comparing 9mm cz to 10mm Tanfoglio? What accuracy are you looking for?
my 2 10mm tanfoglios been pretty accurate. No complaints, i switch slides sometimes on stock master 9mm to 10mm, no difference in accuracy but definitely increase in recoil. And this might add to your group increase

Edited by Igorts

Thanks for replies. To answer some questions.

No I do not reload. I use factory ammo, usually the most economical, but recognized factory brands: Armscor, Sellier n Bellot, Federal, Sig, etc.  
I remember testing several brands a few years ago at 25 yards (using a rest), but did not see a significant difference in factory ammo. Maybe 1-2 were slightly better, but not by much.

I have an older 10mm Witness Hunter and with the stock barrel, and a spare drop in barrel in 9x25, it shoots sub 1.5" 25 yard groups with irons using either barrel with relative ease. I bought it used for about $800 a few years ago; pretty incredible gun for the $$$. Seems to like lead or jacketed too. Not a picky gun at all once you get the config ironed out. Handles heavy 10mm loads better than any of my other 10mms too.