Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

21 Vs 17...

SKYWLKR

????

I'm a huge fan of the .45, I reload for both it and 9mm already.

My carry piece is a G30 and a keltec P11

I want to get a range/gaming gun but Should I go for the 21 or the 17 or just use my 30 for a while (I will not have any changes to the 30 except maybe a polished trigger)?

My hands are smallish but I must turn the gun even on the 17 to hit the mag release, the 30 and 21 I must go a slight bit further.

With the 21 how low can I realistically go with PF? Can I get down to 125 (I'm sure a spring change will be needed)

Any input? Some part of me wants to use/train with what I carry but another wants to Play with crisper triggers and light loads and target sights.

Edited by SKYWLKR

i would stay with the 9mm for production...cheaper brass, bullets and loaded ammunition...

the 45 at minor just doesnt sit good with me...slide cycles like the gun was full of peanut butter instead of oil...and it takes a little longer to get the gun back on target than a 9mm would.

another perspective, if you run out of ammo at a match, you can ususally borrow a few 9mm rounds, minor 45s are another story..

if i had those guns, id leave the carry gun alone, shoot the 9mm in production and dress the M21 out as a limited gun(magwell, 140mm mags, ect.)

Well I dont have a 17 (sold it) or a 21 so I am trying to figure out which to get...

With the 21, I would like to be able to put the factory spring and shoot hard ball and a 22lbs spring for the .45 Super...

Are the rails and Groves an advantage, I like the FGR frame on the 21 and 30 but think a Houge handall will work well with a 17.

If I shoot 9 I dont know that I would be reloading much, just shooting blazer ($80 a case)

but I would reload for .45 and my price is about 75-80 a case.

I had thought about the slow action with under preassure rounds on the 21, but had at first discounted it, is that against the spirt of the class?

May use the 30 and the lighter slide might make up some speed...

You should be able to pick up a used Glock 17 in great shape with Gen2 (slick grip) or Gen3 (finger grooves) and shoot a bunch of 9mm in SSP for IDPA and Production in USPSA for a small investment.

I wholeheartedly concur with the esteemed shooters thoughts posted above, Blazer 9mm is a much easier proposition than minor 45. Shoot zero's and A's and bullet size doesn't matter much.

Despite what some of a more "tactical" bent may mount soapboxes to say, practice is practice and more is better. After all, NFL players do a lot of practice sans full pads and go helmets and shorts only don't they?

I want to get a range/gaming gun but Should I go for the 21 or the 17 or just use my 30 for a while (I will not have any changes to the 30 except maybe a polished trigger)?

(virtually) Free brass that you don't lose sleep over leaving it behind would seem to tip the scales in favor of the 17 for a "gaming" gun...not to mention that you can pick one up VERY inexpensively. If you subsequently decide that you're more enamored of the venerable .45, you wouldn't be out much!

I've shot both in Limited 10, but I shoot the 21 major. On both the 17 and the 21 I have added fiber optic front sights and the 3.5 pound trigger, but otherwise left them alone. I can get 9mm for 3.84 / 50 at Academy and not have to pick it up. Most commercial range ammo is loaded almost exactly right for minor power factor. I do reload for .45 and try to set my loads at about PF 170.

• 4 weeks later...
Well I dont have a 17 (sold it) or a 21 so I am trying to figure out which to get...

With the 21, I would like to be able to put the factory spring and shoot hard ball and a 22lbs spring for the .45 Super...

Are the rails and Groves an advantage, I like the FGR frame on the 21 and 30 but think a Houge handall will work well with a 17.

If I shoot 9 I dont know that I would be reloading much, just shooting blazer ($80 a case)

but I would reload for .45 and my price is about 75-80 a case.

I had thought about the slow action with under preassure rounds on the 21, but had at first discounted it, is that against the spirt of the class?

May use the 30 and the lighter slide might make up some speed...

I can see an advantage both ways. If you load the .45, dont make it 130Pf do it a little hotter, maybe not major but maybe somewhere in the middle, so that the slide cycles faster. Plus according to you are not spending any more money than you would shooting a 9mm. Also you may want to consider shooting wadcutters, they make some evil looking holes in paper(But through an aftermarket barrel not factory barell). instead of a .45 cal diamater hole its more like .50+/-. It maybe the difference in an "A" shot as opposed to a "b/c" shot. One thing I would have to disagree with you on is the recoil spring of 22lbs. That is way too much recoil spring. the factory is about 18lbs. I would say trying a 15lb recoil spring. 15lb works flawlessly in my .40 cal. another advantage is that you can use the gun in Production,limited 10, limited ( but wouldn't recommend limited)

The advantage of 9mm are the rounds are cheap enough that you dont have to reload, you can buy blazer ammo and it would work fine. The gun is going to cycle faster than the .45. disadvantages: smaller holes, can use the gun it Limited, limited 10, and maybe open with the proper setup, but with the exception of open major, your points are going to suffer.

hope this helps

pk

I run a 12 lb. spring in my G21. I load a 200 gr lead SWC to 680 fps. That is about as low as one can go and get reliable ejection. The preception of a slow slide does not bother me at all. I can get .15 splits with the "slow" slide. How much faster do you need to shoot?

I was practicing a bit with my G35 and G21 the other day. I was curious as to how well I could do with the G21. My G35 load is a 180 gr bullet at 760 fps. I was really shocked as to how soft the G21 was compared to the G35. My G35 shoots a little softer even than my wife's G34 loaded with 147 gr bullets @ 870 fps.

The reloading cost is about the same. .45ACP brass runs $35m. Bullets are $25m. 9mm brass is $12m. Plated bullets run $44m.

I am starting to like the G21 as a SSP gun. The one match I shot the G21 in resulted in me saving about 2-3 seconds due to the large dia. bullets.

BTW you can shoot lead bullets in a Glock. I have been doing it for years.