Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Continuing to Troubleshoot a Witness Hunter (10mm)

Reverendpdp

Due to some problems with my slide shearing off the screws of my Leupold Deltapoint, I've decided to try to reduce the rear recoil by replacing the factory  recoil spring with a Wolfe Extra Power spring @ 22#.  I was also advised to add a shock buffer.  The problem with the buffer is that it adds too much length to the Recoil Spring & Buffer combination. Consequently, the slide will not lock back with the buffer.  I was advised to tune the spring by clipping off 1 coil at a time until it locks back.  This makes sense, however I wonder how much weigh I'll be losing with each coil removed?  

A second potential issue is that the slide locked back on me half way through a mag with the heavier spring (no buffer).  Running about 50 rounds through it, it only happened once, but once is enough cause for me to be concerned.  Is this something easily remedied?  TIA for your input.

Edited by Reverendpdp

• Reverendpdp changed the title to Continuing to Troubleshoot a Witness Hunter (10mm)
1 hour ago, Reverendpdp said:

I've decided to try to reduce the rear recoil by replacing the factory  recoil spring with a Wolfe Extra Power spring @ 22#.  I was also advised to add a shock buffer.

Not sure if he has the right length rod for the Hunter, but you should try the Sprinco system instead of the buffer.  

Sprinco USA -- Recoil Solutions

Does the Hunter use a full length 6in spring, or a 5in spring and a short spring plug or spring tunnel?

In my Witness Limited I'm using the Wolff 22lb recoil spring.   I was getting primer swipe on my reloads (180gr at 1250fps)with the factory 14lb spring, brass going 30ft plus.   only other way I can think of is to use a heavier hammer spring to slow the opening of the slide.  Not sure who makes one, Wolff or Henning maybe.

3 hours ago, JBhunter45 said:

Does the Hunter use a full length 6in spring, or a 5in spring and a short spring plug or spring tunnel?

In my Witness Limited I'm using the Wolff 22lb recoil spring.   I was getting primer swipe on my reloads (180gr at 1250fps)with the factory 14lb spring, brass going 30ft plus.   only other way I can think of is to use a heavier hammer spring to slow the opening of the slide.  Not sure who makes one, Wolff or Henning maybe.

I think it uses the short spring plug because the size difference in springs from Wolff between the "longslide" and full size springs is only about 1/8in.  I will look into the heavier hammer spring.  

Have you had any issues with the 22# spring?  Feed problems? Slide lock-up?  Etc. 

4 hours ago, Reverendpdp said:

I think it uses the short spring plug because the size difference in springs from Wolff between the "longslide" and full size springs is only about 1/8in.  I will look into the heavier hammer spring.  

Have you had any issues with the 22# spring?  Feed problems? Slide lock-up?  Etc. 

No it's been running great. I'd maybe like to try a heavier hammer spring, hoping it won't drastically increase the trigger weight.

Edited by JBhunter45

Find some of my threads from years ago on the issues with 10mm's on this platform. The shearing of the screws is from the slide's dustcover bottoming out on the frame. The Hunter uses a different recoil rod so you can't use any  off the shelf dual spring systems for the regular Witness. My suggestion would be to build your own dual spring setup with something like a 22# cut to 3/4 length, then use 1/4 length of like a 14# with a washer or thin spacer in between. The problem with a 22# is now you're going to slam that slide shut so hard you will probably crack your slide stop pin.

Two 10mm Tanfos here, one LimPro and a 10mm Witness Hunter. 

WH is original slide with no holes, and iron sights, and I found it's a delicate balance between slide velocity and getting the rounds up from the mag (if slide velocity is too high the rounds won't have enough time to feed up). BUT the first order of business is slowing unlocking, so I have EGW square bottom firing pin stop, and a heavier (18#) hammer spring. With those I can run an 18# Wolff recoil spring, but what I also found essential was Grams springs and followers. With this combo I can run standard length or extended mags with no issues, and with hotter loads than any of my other 10mms. Buffers in Tanfos never were reliable for me too. And I found the 20 and 22# recoil springs to slam the slide forward way too fast, plus the rounds couldn't feed up from the mag fast enough. Hope this helps.

22 minutes ago, Bill Schwab said:

Two 10mm Tanfos here, one LimPro and a 10mm Witness Hunter. 

WH is original slide with no holes, and iron sights, and I found it's a delicate balance between slide velocity and getting the rounds up from the mag (if slide velocity is too high the rounds won't have enough time to feed up). BUT the first order of business is slowing unlocking, so I have EGW square bottom firing pin stop, and a heavier (18#) hammer spring. With those I can run an 18# Wolff recoil spring, but what I also found essential was Grams springs and followers. With this combo I can run standard length or extended mags with no issues, and with hotter loads than any of my other 10mms. Buffers in Tanfos never were reliable for me too. And I found the 20 and 22# recoil springs to slam the slide forward way too fast, plus the rounds couldn't feed up from the mag fast enough. Hope this helps.

Hi Bill. Is the firing pin stop on the EGW website sku 20060 the one you installed?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 4:19 PM, MuayThaiJJ said:

Contact DPM recoil systems, I helped the owner prototype a special recoil reduction system for the 6" models.

service@dpmsystems.com

I just send them pics of my guide rod set-up.  Let's see what they say.  Thanks. 

On 12/18/2023 at 4:19 PM, MuayThaiJJ said:

Contact DPM recoil systems, I helped the owner prototype a special recoil reduction system for the 6" models.

service@dpmsystems.com

Hello Muay.  

DPM says it does not have a kit for that gun, even though I told them what you said.   They asked for a pic of your kit.  Big big favor... Is there any way you can send that?  I already send them pics and measurements of my current set-up, but it doesn't look like this is a high priority for them.