Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Effects of lightening the slide

Guy Neill

39 minutes ago, Guy Neill said:

0.38 * 0.39 is a different shot than 0.40 - 0.41

My bad.  I said second video, because that was the second one I watched.  It was actually the MythBusters video.  In the MythBusters video, the slide started to move before the bullet exited in the :10-11 frame.  It has not moved in the :38-39 frame when the bullet was out of the barrel.  The slide moves at the start of :40.  Neither is an optical illusion, so what gives?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to think the slide moves a tiny bit at the moment of ignition.  The movement might not be easily visible until sometime later though.  Cameras might not tell the whole story.  Maybe movement sensors would be needed.  Haven’t thought about it or investigated it much.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2023 at 4:50 PM, zzt said:

My bad.  I said second video, because that was the second one I watched.  It was actually the MythBusters video.  In the MythBusters video, the slide started to move before the bullet exited in the :10-11 frame.  It has not moved in the :38-39 frame when the bullet was out of the barrel.  The slide moves at the start of :40.  Neither is an optical illusion, so what gives?

Digging up an old thread, but after watching through it a couples of times on .25x, I’m pretty sure the clip at :38-:39 starts later in the firing cycle than the one at :10. Looks like there are only a handful of frames before the bullet comes out, so maybe just an editing thing.

Either that or, visually speaking at least, there is a pause in the movement as the pin on the barrel side of the link cams over the slide stop… but I might be misunderstanding the relative positions of the two at rest, after firing, while locked, and during unlocking…