Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Recent Owners of Lee Auto Drum Powder Measure???

I am a low volume reloader using a simple Lee single stage press and the auto disk powder measure. I've got the disk set for a very good powder drop for my primary load with Titegroup but if I want to change loads finding an accurate new disk hole is usually a PITA. I bought an aftermarket disk with set screws in each hole that allow me to fine tune the loads but it's still slow to change.

Came across the Lee Auto Drum which seems to be a far superior solution to the Auto disk. I searched the archives here and found a few threads going back to 2015 and 2017. Owners seem to love the Auto drum and say it works great but usually after a "break in" period. People did things like lube the Drum with powdered graphite, run a pound or more of powder thru before actually reloading, rubbing the Drum with dryer sheets to remove static, sanding the drum with 0000 steel wool, or washing it with Dawn and letting it air dry.

Since these "tips" are all 7 or 8 years old I'm wondering what the experience is with recent Owners. Don't know if Lee has addressed these issues. Do the newer Auto drums drop consistent charges out of the box or would I need to follow one or more of those previous tips?

Thanks

12 hours ago, LHshooter said:

I am a low volume reloader using a simple Lee single stage press and the auto disk powder measure. I've got the disk set for a very good powder drop for my primary load with Titegroup but if I want to change loads finding an accurate new disk hole is usually a PITA. I bought an aftermarket disk with set screws in each hole that allow me to fine tune the loads but it's still slow to change.

Came across the Lee Auto Drum which seems to be a far superior solution to the Auto disk. I searched the archives here and found a few threads going back to 2015 and 2017. Owners seem to love the Auto drum and say it works great but usually after a "break in" period. People did things like lube the Drum with powdered graphite, run a pound or more of powder thru before actually reloading, rubbing the Drum with dryer sheets to remove static, sanding the drum with 0000 steel wool, or washing it with Dawn and letting it air dry.

Since these "tips" are all 7 or 8 years old I'm wondering what the experience is with recent Owners. Don't know if Lee has addressed these issues. Do the newer Auto drums drop consistent charges out of the box or would I need to follow one or more of those previous tips?

Thanks

I won't address those as Auto Drum in particular suggestions as I have never used one but in general the "tips" you are referencing apply to all powder measures in general regardless of manufacturer as good initial set-up and in general ongoing maintenance steps for whatever measure turns you on. 

All powder measures benefit from running either graphite or cycling a bunch of powder through them prior to first serious use. All powder measures work better when steps are taken to reduce static. A lot depends upon what your specific climate situation is. The static reducing steps you mention are commonly recommended regardless of which measure you are using.

I used the Auto Disk for a quite a while as my first powder measure and it works fine but it is not the most flexible solution.
I would never go back given any viable alternative which it seems the Auto Drum might be. I have heard positive things but as I said I have no personal experience.

I have the auto disk with the micro adjustable insert instead of using the disks. It was ok but not with larger flake powder like e3. So I bought an auto drum and so far it works very well. It was a little finicky at first and after throwing about 50-100 through it it settled down. I use it on an old 4 hole turret press and even while that thing is shaking and turning around it still stays right on or occasionally maybe +- .1 which I didn’t think was too bad for what it costs. It has seemed to gotten better with use and the adjustment is pretty easy. Oh yeah, it doesn’t leak either. Like any of them, make sure to get full stroke and develop a consistent rhythm. 

8 hours ago, ddc said:

I won't address those as Auto Drum in particular suggestions as I have never used one but in general the "tips" you are referencing apply to all powder measures in general regardless of manufacturer as good initial set-up and in general ongoing maintenance steps for whatever measure turns you on. 

All powder measures benefit from running either graphite or cycling a bunch of powder through them prior to first serious use. All powder measures work better when steps are taken to reduce static. A lot depends upon what your specific climate situation is. The static reducing steps you mention are commonly recommended regardless of which measure you are using.

Thanks for clarifying this, much appreciated. Never knew I should be taking those steps. Duh

13 hours ago, LHshooter said:

Thanks for clarifying this, much appreciated. Never knew I should be taking those steps. Duh

All of those steps may not be necessary. I don't mean to suggest they are all mandatory. But if you have common problems it is nice to know what people often do to solve them.

Good luck.

I just bought another one this week.  Got the newest generation and it is a bit of an improvement over the older style one in the way that the hopper attaches.  I use them with a riser and the proper die for flaring/powder drop on a Hornady LNL press.  The newest one will be dedicated for .44 magnum.  

The only better measure on the market is the case activated Hornady powder measure.  By the time you are done setting up 1 of those you can buy roughly 5 Lee powder measures.  I think I'm currently at 3 Hornady and 4 Lee powder drops.  Both are great.

I read the same threads and they were good suggestions. Only one i did use was the dryer sheet tip.  This one works.   I have run the autodrum for years and other than some annual maintenance, never had issues.  Very simple set up and adjustments, accurate with a variety of pistol powders that I put through it.