Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Exactly Do Gunsmiths Become Gunsmiths...

Airic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I just won the lottery!! :D

The smith that I have been using for different things asked me to work with him as an apprentice. Since my job leaves me with a lot of "off-time", it's a perfect set up for both of us.

Last week, I built a work bench and moved into my space in his shop.

My first day with him, we forged the bolt handle from a Mauser that the customer wants sporterized. As an ongoing project, he gave me a 1917 Enfield action coupled to a .458 Win Mag barrel to build. When I'm finished, the gun is mine. I'll need to buy some pillows before shooting this monster. :o

Amazingly or not, I too came from a hot rod background. Mopars Rule. I still have a flat head 51 Dodge panel van.

In the late 60's-early 70's, the Army very graciously let me work on aircraft, shoot machine guns out of the door of helicopters, and become an aircraft tech inspector.

I did a stint in the shop of a Harley dealer and built myself some nice rides.

At one point in my life, I was building and selling custom harmonicas.

Like most everyone else that has responded, I like taking things apart to see if I can improve them. Once, I had the fastest tape measure in town. It would fly down a 16' 2x8.

Man, I can't tell you how lucky I feel about falling into this. I can already envision some cool new additions to my collection. B)

I'llkeep everyone posted on my progress if there is any interest.