Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building A Heavy Metal 610 for WRC

No experience with the 220gr SNS bullet. In .40S&W I use a Bayou Bullets 200gr RN over 3.9 of Universal. It is clean, accurate and makes 170pf out of my 6.5" 610. If I recall there were some pressure issues with 40S&W, heavy bullets, and Clays, not sure if it was resolved with loading long or not.

9 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

No experience with the 220gr SNS bullet. In .40S&W I use a Bayou Bullets 200gr RN over 3.9 of Universal. It is clean, accurate and makes 170pf out of my 6.5" 610. If I recall there were some pressure issues with 40S&W, heavy bullets, and Clays, not sure if it was resolved with loading long or not.

I think the issue was due to a semiauto telescoping rounds oal when feeding.  A small change drastically increased pressures.  But beware it was an issue in 2011's and especially glocks.

Edited by pskys2

Loading to 1.200"+ and getting non-Glocked brass was the answer to blowups with clays and 220s trying to make 175 PF in .40 cal 2011s back in the day.  In a 610, I'd load longer and use 10mm brass and/or a different powder.

On 10/15/2023 at 7:35 PM, UFO said:

Anybody ever try the SNS 220's? If so, what was your load data? I'll probably be using Clay's.

Bryan, are you locked in on the 220's and the clays? If not what I have had good results with are 180-185's and clean shot, 4.4 grains puts me at 173pf. Also auto comp, be86, hs-6, long shot all will work to make major pf with a 180 bullet. There is a bit of difference between plated and pc'd or hitek coatings, the plated run slower for me with the same powder charge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, mchapman said:

Bryan, are you locked in on the 220's and the clays? If not what I have had good results with are 180-185's and clean shot, 4.4 grains puts me at 173pf. Also auto comp, be86, hs-6, long shot all will work to make major pf with a 180 bullet. There is a bit of difference between plated and pc'd or hitek coatings, the plated run slower for me with the same powder charge.

I just finished loading 18 rounds each with 2.9, 3.0, and 3.1 Clays to test tomorrow. Loaded very long at 1.245". I'll let you know how they do. I also have some 200gr Bayous I'll be testing soon.

Update:

So, 3.1 Clays, 220gn SNS gave me 168.2pf. They were loaded long @ 1.245. No signs of any pressure spikes. My only issue is, the 220grn SNS bullets weighed anywhere from 217.2gr to 221.9, and it showed in the velocity numbers. That was from 20 test samples pulled out of the box. Very disappointed that they vary so much. 

Next test is with 200gn Bayou's. 

Edited by UFO