Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scherer Replacement Glock Tubes

Singlestack

• 3 weeks later...

I got a couple of the 17s. I had to scrape off the witness hole detritus. I put in springs, followers, and retainers from crappy ProMag G19 pre-ban mags, and standard Glock 9mm base plates.

The things ran great. (And with shorter springs meant for 15 round mags!) Not a single problem.

They aren't fully metal lined so they tend to swell when loaded. I wouldn't count on a partially loaded one dropping free, but they do so empty.

The .40 tubes can be made to work. I have one set up for 15 rds. and one with a Arredondo +5 extension. I can do a slide closed reload with 20 in the mag. The followers have to be trimmed to work properly. So far both have worked well. They will not drop free with anything over 9-10 rds in them.

I got a 40 tube and a Schrer +2 kit today.  The tube looks ok, not Glock quality but not bad either. A Glock 40 follower wouldn't go to the top of the mag.  I mistakenly ordered the +2 kit for 9mm, that follower fit ok.  I used a spring from a no name 15 rd mag & got 18 rds, but I did have a few rds hang up on the feedramp. I think a stronger spring should cure that. The mag seated easily with 18rds and dropped out ok too.

The +2 kit came with a longer spring, one for a 29 rd mag.  You are supposed to cut it down for 15 rd mags. Guess I should have done that instead of trying to get that extra round in.

I have some Arredondo +5's coming. I'll post more when I try them.

On going tests revealed a need to bend the second spring loop from the top up a little. I had a couple of misfeeds over the last 150 rds. So far so good.

Flex, I had to trim the sides of the follower and the right front corner.

Sounds encouraging since I have a number of aftermarket pre-bans in need of quality parts, i.e., anyone else buy one of the no-name 100% plastic mags w/ unmarked, Glock-like witness holes in the back? Bought some in 1995 w/ soft plastic feed lips and all - you can imagine how those are holding up. Its a pre-ban mag for certain, but these are not mags I'd use in a match. I look forward to testing the new Scherer tubes.

Carlos I have some of those unmarked pre-bans, ProMags. Plastic body without liner; you can squeeze the feed lips wide, narrow, wide... of course they don't work worth a damn.

The cool thing is that the parts go right into a Scherer replacement tube and it works great. In fact, I prefer the ProMag G19 15-rd mag guts in the Scherer 17-rd tube; it's easier to load fully and it still works great.