Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stealth Arms Platypus

dapribek

At Sunday’s match, I was able to inspect and shoot my buddy’s new Platypus. It was even better than I hoped! (I recently ordered my own without having seen one). 
The fit and finish was great and it shot really well! His is all black and mine will be a little different!

image000001.jpeg

IMG_3716.jpeg

Saw a video of a version possibly coming that will take P320 mags. I did love the 21rd. P320 mags when I had my X5. Wish they had a bull barrel option.

Edited by OPENB

15 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I’ve heard that the grips need a little something. Ordered from here, precut for Platypus. 

https://www.handleitgrips.com/product-page/stealth-arms-platypus-gun-grip-enhancement-gun-parts-kit

Well crap.  I bought their 1911 one because it was "close enough."  Now I should go back and replace them.  :)

3 hours ago, Stafford said:

For those that have a Platypus, are you shooting it in USPSA, etc...? How does it hold up competitively compared to higher end 2011's?

Hold up how?  Goes bang every time, puts bullets where the dot says to.

If I'm being honest, I like the full, rougher 2011 grips a little better, but HandleIt has the gritty carbide sticker grips for the Platypus now and that helps a lot.  The aluminum, even with the dimple texture, gets slippery when sweaty.

Hold up in terms of accuracy, felt recoil, dot/sights back on target quickly, etc.... in comparison to a heavier, steel frame, higher end 2011's against a timer. 

I've only shot a couple of 9mm 2011's, Atlas, MPA, and various Staccatos (demo day). With the MPA Limited Optics Competition model, I was able to run it fast for about 10 shots and it was very, very flat shooting. 

44 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Hold up in terms of accuracy, felt recoil, dot/sights back on target quickly, etc.... in comparison to a heavier, steel frame, higher end 2011's against a timer. 

See, I read "hold up" as asking about durability and fitness, not performance.  It's a lighter gun, so slightly more felt recoil, but I resprung mine to 10# with a shok-buff and 128-130PF loads.  Very controllable.  That's going to change per person, though, based on load, speed, etc.  It's functionally the same platform as a 2011, so tunable to most degrees.