Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this legal? Question 1.

rowdyb

Bear in mind I've shot a lot, in a lot of places but I've never taken an RO class and stopped reading the rule book once they were no longer printed and mailed to us.

Shooter has totally legal belt, gear and gun for declared division, set up what would look normal for a right hand shooter. At make ready command they do so as a right handed shooter would, but on the beep they draw the gun with the right hand and transfer it to the left, shooting the gun as a left hander typically would.

When it's time to reload they switch the gun back to do a right hand reload, then back to the left hand for shooting.

Beyond just being wonky, and when I asked why he did this he said he was left handed but could only borrow right handed gear for his first match, is this legal? My feeling is yes, but want to get the forum's opinion.

11 hours ago, rowdyb said:

He was challenging to RO because of how much the gun kept moving around. He eventually broke the 180 3 stages into the match.

And there you have it ... Darwinism at its finest.

For the rest of your question, consider the wording in the Glossary for Strong and Weak Hand.  By that wording, it does not matter that he is left-handed.  The fact that the gun is on his right side and he draws it with his right hand makes his right hand his strong hand by definition, and his left hand his weak hand, again, by definition.

Edited by Schutzenmeister
Spelling error

21 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

For the rest of your question, consider the wording in the Glossary for Strong and Week Hand.  By that wording, it does not matter that he is left-handed.  The fact that the gun is on his right side and he draws it with his right hand makes his right hand his strong hand by definition, and his left hand his weak hand, again, by definition.

Are you saying what the guy was doing was illegal?

10 hours ago, RJH said:

Are you saying what the guy was doing was illegal?

Absolutely not.  As previously mentioned, freestyle is freestyle.  He can do whatever he wants ... until he violates a safety rule.

What I said was to clarify what is considered, by rule, to be his strong and weak hands.

On 10/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, Schutzenmeister said:

For the rest of your question, consider the wording in the Glossary for Strong and Weak Hand.  By that wording, it does not matter that he is left-handed.  The fact that the gun is on his right side and he draws it with his right hand makes his right hand his strong hand by definition, and his left hand his weak hand, again, by definition.

IIRC Rob Leatham is left handed, but is right eye dominant and shoots right handed as per the rule above.

Nolan