Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversize slide lock

aneyokly

I am a new shooter and IPSC master wannabe who is struggling with GLOCK 19 for accuracy( not even precision!) Before I abandon my gun for a 1911 ,I came across an interesting theory in current FRONT SIGHT mag. It seems if your GLOCK slide lock is slightly out of spec. ,which mine seems to be from looking at the description,it can affect one's shooting experience.The   exchanging of such stamped part with new smooth lock supposedly increases accuracy 7 to 30% ! I'm for that or  is everything a moot point and I have to rely on my own increased hard work and practice to make up any missing  %.? Comments Please! Gratias!!  "Nothing's wrong except nothing's wrong!" Lt. Col. Hal Moore                        

Practice...Practice...Practice.

Lots of dry fire.  Look for the Roy D. Mercer drill in the Shooting Drills section.

(If you really-really think your Glock is defective...let some other experienced Glock-jocky shoot it some to compare.  Not just a buddy that is "pretty good"...look for someone on top of the score sheet)

(Edited by Flexmoney at 10:22 pm on Sep. 9, 2002)

You are at a little disadvantage shooting a G19, short sight radius and light weight. It is a wonderful carry gun, but not a true competition gun. If you have the funds purchase a G35. The G35 has to be the most versatile gun there is. You can shoot USPSA Limited, Limited 10 and Production. It is also a very good gun for IDPA SSP and ESP. There is very little recoil using a 180 gr. bullet loaded to a 125 PF for Production, SSP and ESP. I am seeing more and more upper level shooters going to the G35.

IMO the oversize lock is a waste of money.

(Edited by Joe D at 4:26 am on Sep. 10, 2002)

(Edited by Joe D at 4:08 am on Sep. 11, 2002)

I was just reading the article in Front-site last night.

It sounds like it *could* be beneficial, but I can easily see the other side of the coin where your accuracy DROPS 7-30% after installing it.  Field testing needed.

I put one of these Extended Slide Stops from "the GlockSmith" (I bought it at a Dallas Gunshow he was at) in a Glock 35, in search of every ounce of accuracy I could wrench from the beast, and had no measureable difference in groups at any distance.

It WAS kinda easier to breakdown the gun though. Your results may vary - (maybe in a VERY worn gun?)

But as to accuracy, IMHO this gadget is snake oil. Spend your money on practice ammo. :)

I started shooting USPSA w/ a G19 that I still carry for personal protection and at work. Great place to start; if you do not care to reload 9mm, the CCI Blazer ordered in lots of 1000 from Natchez will not break the bank. See my post in reply to SAW re: gun choice for thoughts on modifications ($25 for 3.5 lb Glock brand disconector and a reduced power striker spring). Others will differ, but I like the G17 over the G34 (and you can put the race parts off your 19 right on the 17 and still shoot production!)

I just had those modifications you suggested done yesterday and am radically pleased with the results. Took my range target practice up to a new level,which is actually hitting the target consistently! After I get classified, I might ask Santa for a G35! Thanks CARLOS and to everyone for your help.                                                                                     'Nothing's wrong except nothing's wrong'' LT. COL. HAL MOORE

Okay now I'm curious besides a little more accuracy may also help me with my G19. So what exactly does this extended slide stop do? And how can I tell if my factory stop is out of spec?  Lastly, you guys know of any site where I can do more reading on this? :) Thanks

I got to hear about the results from one of our shooters last year.  The Slide Stop is THICKER in addition to being longer!  the barrel apparently locks up on the slide stop!

He tried it in 2 or 3 (IDNR) one he found Great results the other he said there was no obvious difference!

Hes a Master Class shooter and He can shoot a group!

A friend put one in my 35 also just to show me the difference,  you couldnt MOVE the barrel pushing down on the chambe with it in battery - didnt get to shoot it though.

cant tell you any more!

Larry P