Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 troubleshooting

Been using a new to me super 1050 for a few months now and have a few issues I can’t seem to solve. Using Dillon carbide 9mm dies. It’s the older version with metal part on case feeder, 2 speeds. 

1) spent primers not decapping. Have tried every shape imaginable on the pin. Got some Lyman pins to try this method shown in pic and it helped but still too many failures. 

2) upside down brass and brass jamming the feeder by not falling through plate. I’m mounted sturdy to a heavy bench that’s mounted to the wall. Could brace the feeder but it seems pretty stout as is. 

im all ears for what to try next. Don’t want to throw money and hope at it. 

image.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Seoderus said:

upside down brass and brass jamming the feeder by not falling through plate

Get the DAA replacement case feeder plate. Miracle worker!
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-turbo-case-feeder-plate-with-mark7-clutch-adaptor

If you are single pass reloading, the decapping pin must be as deep as you can get it on the Dillon die. Since I decap separate from the sizing die all I can say is the wedge shape and a smoothed/polished pin will help. Wait and see what others post. 

That is the shell plate for large brass. What are you loading? Does your case feeder have the wedge to flip the brass? if so adjust this lower. 

What is most likely happening with decapping is primer pullback. It gets pushed out but pinches on the pin and gets pulled back in. Skinnier pins are available which greatly help with this. Also ensure your die is screwed down to touch shell plate and back a 1/4 turn or so.if its too high it wont push down far enough,

4 minutes ago, m700 said:

That is the shell plate for large brass. What are you loading? Does your case feeder have the wedge to flip the brass? if so adjust this lower. 

What is most likely happening with decapping is primer pullback. It gets pushed out but pinches on the pin and gets pulled back in. Skinnier pins are available which greatly help with this. Also ensure your die is screwed down to touch shell plate and back a 1/4 turn or so.if its too high it wont push down far enough,

sorry for the confusion, that is not my picture. That’s from another thread on this forum. I am loading 9 mm and using the small plate.

my case feeder does not have the wedge, though I think I am going to make some thing like that. I’ve got the older version with the metal side before the wedge. My bet is the wedge will help with the brass getting jammed, not sure if it will fix the upside down part. I’ve sat and watched it feed brass, and I am yet to see one go in upside down… Maybe this does have to do with the case feeder shaking after all.

pull back was the problem when using the Dillon pins. Hence, trying to shape it 100 different ways but still had issues. 

I picked up some of the Lyman pins, which are smaller diameter, and I think the problem is different now. But it is hard to be certain, since it does not happen quite often enough and I do not see any headstamp pattern. I think the issue now may be that the smaller diameter pin is deforming the old primer and pushing it outward in a cone shape instead of pressing the primer out of the pocket. 

im trying to watch for a primer falling out at station one but really I find the issue at station 2 or 3 when it’s too late. 

My newest theory on upside down brass is that is happens after the shell plate, in the funnel, due to case feeder movement. 

going to try some ‘funnel reducers’ as seen in this thread. 

appreciate everyone’s input so far. Gives some new ideas how to troubleshoot this thing. 

I switched to a Mighty armory die a while back when I bent the shaft of the Dillon die. But I had this issue with the dillon and I was able to get it to stop by keeping the pins clean and filing the bevel like others said.

47 minutes ago, Seoderus said:

My newest theory on upside down brass is that is happens after the shell plate, in the funnel, due to case feeder movement. 

going to try some ‘funnel reducers’ as seen in this thread. 

appreciate everyone’s input so far. Gives some new ideas how to troubleshoot this thing. 

Many use the AT500 funnel from Dillon. It sits inside the existing funnel on the Dillon case feeder. This helps prevent brass waterfalls from a piece getting stuck sideways during the drop. 

37 minutes ago, m700 said:

I switched to a Mighty armory die a while back when I bent the shaft of the Dillon die. But I had this issue with the dillon and I was able to get it to stop by keeping the pins clean and filing the bevel like others said.

does anyone have a picture of modified Dillon pin? Maybe I never filed the correct shape. 

One more vote for the DAA collator. I cannot overstress how important this upgrade is. 

Not only do you get much faster feeding and no jams at the drop chute, but it's also caliber-independent (within reason) and will feed all common pistol calibers without any changes, modifications or adjustments. It's hard to believe how many issues this collator resolves.

Here's a list of benefits:

• Single plate for all (common) calibers.
  • Extremely fast feeding, where it will easily outrun my commercial roll-sizer with all pins installed.
  • Very reliable case flipping, maybe one upside down case in 10-15K if so.
  • Doesn't get stuck, keeps spinning even with ~5 times the number of cases in the feeder that would stall a Dillon plate. 
  • No more cases pinched at the drop chute and stopping the plate.
  • No more jams in the funnel past the chute, cases tend to fall straight (only one jam in 10-15K at full speed).
  • No more cases getting stuck at the "clearing tab" (the plastic part inside the case that clears overflow) and blocking the plate. 

In short, replacing the collator with the DAA one changed the process from constantly having to keep my left hand inside the feeder and nudge the plate in different directions to a piece that works by itself and needs absolutely no monitoring or tinkering, so I can watch the important parts of the process, just past the powder drop. 

3 hours ago, Seoderus said:

Again, get the DAA plate, it's not expensive, and you can thank us later 🙂

The decapping issue is frustrating, but you have to be analytical about how you try to solve it. 

If you're getting ringers and pull-backs, then it's about the pin. You can tinker with the width, tip shape, springs, etc. If the primer is deformed and not pushed out, it's simple - you need a longer pin, or the die needs to be lower in order to make the pin protrude further out. Since most setups will use a sizing die for decapping, it's usually already screwed in all the way until it touches the shellplate, so you'd have to use a different die (or a different pin, if available) to solve your problem. 

My experience is that it's good to have several universal decapping dies around, as well as several sizing/decapping dies from different manufacturers and with different designs. And don't discount cheaper Lee dies, they can be a life saver in some situations, from using their U-die to setting up the collet holding the decapping pin correctly. And they have different after-market "fat pins" for different purposes. Lyman also makes nice spring-loaded sizing dies, albeit I had a recent issue with one where the sizing bushing got pulled out of a die by a 38 SC brass... 

18 hours ago, Seoderus said:

It’s the older version with metal part on case feeder, 2 speeds. 

Have been running the DAA plate for a while, it is faster but the upside down brass and jams still happened.

Eyeball fitted the DAA wedge earlier this week, haven't run a lot of rounds yet but with the switch in the fast position to feed my roll sizer I haven't been able to recreate a jam or get an upside down piece of brass so far. I assume it will be even more reliable when reloading and switched to slow speed. 

wedge1.jpg.46c19813308ec107c050c413c287d73d.jpgwedge2.jpg.359985d3bb073a2fb4980ad4482efad2.jpg

19 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Have been running the DAA plate for a while, it is faster but the upside down brass and jams still happened.

Eyeball fitted the DAA wedge earlier this week, haven't run a lot of rounds yet but with the switch in the fast position to feed my roll sizer I haven't been able to recreate a jam or get an upside down piece of brass so far. I assume it will be even more reliable when reloading and switched to slow speed. 

wedge1.jpg.46c19813308ec107c050c413c287d73d.jpgwedge2.jpg.359985d3bb073a2fb4980ad4482efad2.jpg

This seamed very high to me but then i realized the newer bowls are deeper. I think you look good there.

Existing switch

closed with no brass 

detected by switch                                     MRDT

----[ ]------------------------|------------(Ton)--- Motor restart delay timer (will set maybe at 60 seconds)

|

MRDT/DN      MSDT/DN.     |

----[ ]-----------[/]----------|

Existing switch

closed when brass 

detected by switch.                                   MSDT

-----[ ]-----------------------------------(Ton)--- Motor stop delay timer (will set at maybe 0.5 - 1 second)

MRDT/DN

-----[ ]-----------------------------------(M)--- Motor

Don't know if anybody else would be interested. On the old two speed case feeders I never liked that the motor stops and starts on every piece of brass and for feeding a roll sizer I'd like a bit more speed, so I blew $30 on a couple relays and some Din rail this morning. Should work I think, but I made the assumption that the switch and motor is coming straight off the 110v supply so I will need to revise slightly if I find that is a bad assumption when the parts arrive. 

2 hours ago, m700 said:

This seamed very high to me but then i realized the newer bowls are deeper. I think you look good there.

So far, 0 issues with 9mm. Screwed up and didn't get it high enough for 45acp to clear so when I get round to it I'll need to slot the holes another smidge upward. 

Thank you all for the info. 

will file a pin the way Sarge shows. That is my main issue, as then I smash new primer if it’s missed. 

the upside down brass easily let’s me know when it has arrived to the shell plate! DAA plate seems like worthwhile investment. 

was fighting these issues in a recent large batch, so will be a bit before loading next batch. I’ll report back if things improve. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Existing switch

closed with no brass 

detected by switch                                     MRDT

----[ ]------------------------|------------(Ton)--- Motor restart delay timer (will set maybe at 60 seconds)

|

MRDT/DN      MSDT/DN.     |

----[ ]-----------[/]----------|

Existing switch

closed when brass 

detected by switch.                                   MSDT

-----[ ]-----------------------------------(Ton)--- Motor stop delay timer (will set at maybe 0.5 - 1 second)

MRDT/DN

-----[ ]-----------------------------------(M)--- Motor

Don't know if anybody else would be interested. On the old two speed case feeders I never liked that the motor stops and starts on every piece of brass and for feeding a roll sizer I'd like a bit more speed, so I blew $30 on a couple relays and some Din rail this morning. Should work I think, but I made the assumption that the switch and motor is coming straight off the 110v supply so I will need to revise slightly if I find that is a bad assumption when the parts arrive. 

I like the idea of this especially when you get to rifle. Pistol you get a couple more pulls before it starts spinning. 60 seconds may be too much 20 may be better if you load rifle

Update. 

1) upside brass is a rare occurrence after blocking some of the funnel with thin plastic as shown in other linked thread/earlier post. 

2) decapping has improved with more modified pin tips. Not 100%, but improved. I’ve about given up on this one. 

3) new issue! I’m getting brass jammed/sideways at station 1. This had never occurred a single time until this weekend. First thought was to tighten shell plate, it seemed looser than when I set it up and tightening did improve things. But did not solve it. anyone experience this?

edit: I think the root cause for issue number three is primarily a dirty case shuttle channel. This is slowing things down and throwing off the ‘timing’. I have seen posts about using a recoil spring for added force, maybe that is worth trying. For now let’s see what a good cleaning does.

Edited by Seoderus