Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Society Single Stack

Ther are logistical reasons that USPSA is behind the 1911 Society in posting this. Give it a day or two, and it will be posted.

Gary

Logistically speaking, I hope they expand the entrant capacity beyond 220 shooters, which is what the current application shows. I think this match should accomodate closer to 300, IMO.

Ok, I got it.

Bryan, am I understanding you correctly. You want full billing of a Nationals for a "Provisional" division? The entry is half that of the other Nationals. If the match fills up the first year, then we can look at expanding for future years.

Gary, please keep us posted. Thanks

While this Division is technically provisional for the next three years, I doubt you will see the words "provisional" in any awards, etc. For the next three years we do have a Division for the 1911 Single Stack. After that time frame though, only time will tell.

It is always better to start off something new with small steps. The Single Stack Classic has been kind enough to host the 1911 USPSA National Championships. This was not something they had to do as their match is well established and would go on as it has been. I think this is the perfect relationship to jump start this venture.

If this does fill up in 2006 it will be a good starting point for 2007. My entry went in the mail yesterday.

Gary

While this Division is technically provisional for the next three years, I doubt you will see the words "provisional" in any awards, etc. For the next three years we do have a Division for the 1911 Single Stack. After that time frame though, only time will tell.

It is always better to start off something new with small steps. The Single Stack Classic has been kind enough to host the 1911 USPSA National Championships. This was not something they had to do as their match is well established and would go on as it has been. I think this is the perfect relationship to jump start this venture.

If this does fill up in 2006 it will be a good starting point for 2007. My entry went in the mail yesterday.

Gary

Good points Gary. I may have been overly optomistic with my thinking on the year one entrant capacity. My application went out in the mail today :D

Oh well I will be shooting SS at Space City and The Double Tap Champ!

I'm shooting L-10 w/ my SS at Double Tap - does that help?? :):lol: My committment to myself is that I will make Master in L-10 before I spend the $$ on mags and stuff to shoot SSD, so it might be a little while before I join you :)

Hopefully shooting Open at Space City (even though I'm registered L-10)... :)

$115.00 for Current 1911 Society Members$130.00 for Non-Members$165.00 Non-USPSA Member (Includes 1st year membership.)[/size]

What if a shooter doesn't belong to ANY recognized shooting sport?

He/she pays/has someone else pay $165.

How do you watch out for "first time" competition shooters?

Make sure they don't break the 180?

Interesting points.....which spurs a couple questions.

1) For all other USPSA National events, shooters had to earn (or buy) slots. It could/would be assumed that those shooters are already USPSA members and have already shot a few matches? For the Provisional Single Stack Nationals, no slot policy is being used. So what prevents Joe Rookie from showing up, joining the USPSA (requirement for the nationals or any Level II and higher match) and then shooting (and possibly being unsafe...or REALLY unsafe)? In our section, a shooter isn't allowed to shoot a club match unless they've either completed a safety check program or a known active shooter can vouch for the new shooters abilities. I'm not aware of any USPSA Nationals where new shooter walk-on's were allowed....seems like the USPSA is "bending" the process a bit for this match...is that a good thing?

2) Its been stated that the Provisional Single Stack Division will be judged based on match participation (10 - 12%). Is there going to be some attempt to try and "extract" those numbers from this match and if so...how?

While your procedures in your section/area are very sound and to be commended, there are no rules that prohibit a shooter from purchasing a membership, signing up on the wait list, paying for a slot, and shooting his/her first match at a national championship as unclassified. While this situation will probably never happen, it is a real possibility. Nothing is being bent in anyway. Membership in USPSA is required, and is being sold at full price. The member is paying 35 dollars and the 1911 society is paying 5 dollars for a total of 40 dollars.

As to the safety issue, the RO's will handle that just as they do every match. If you have become unsafe, you leave the match.

For this particular match, the total number of shooters in the Single Stack Division will be 100 percent.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

1) For all other USPSA National events, shooters had to earn (or buy) slots. It could/would be assumed that those shooters are already USPSA members and have already shot a few matches? For the Provisional Single Stack Nationals, no slot policy is being used. So what prevents Joe Rookie from showing up, joining the USPSA (requirement for the nationals or any Level II and higher match) and then shooting (and possibly being unsafe...or REALLY unsafe)? In our section, a shooter isn't allowed to shoot a club match unless they've either completed a safety check program or a known active shooter can vouch for the new shooters abilities. I'm not aware of any USPSA Nationals where new shooter walk-on's were allowed....seems like the USPSA is "bending" the process a bit for this match...is that a good thing?

The only requirement to buying a slot or being a walk-on at the USPSA Nationals is being a USPSA member. I shot the nationals last year with someone who was shooting her 1st match ever. She'd been coached in the safety rules & she did just fine. She wasn't fast, she made a few mistakes & she had a great time.

They don't use a slot policy for the 3-gun Nationals either.

"While your procedures in your section/area are very sound and to be commended, there are no rules that prohibit a shooter from purchasing a membership, signing up on the wait list, paying for a slot, and shooting his/her first match at a national championship as unclassified"

"The only requirement to buying a slot or being a walk-on at the USPSA Nationals is being a USPSA member"

Shocking, but from an attendance viewpoint, I suppose it makes sense.

Happy New Year. ;)