Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production legal magazine

stater61

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Your best bet is to actually measure your magazines.  Anything else is pretty much guesswork.

Well that’s a problem since I don’t have any to measure. I was thinking of buying some, but don’t want to if they’re not legal.  I guess the round limit is 10 anyway so a standard +0 would work but I wanted to use them for other things also. 

I have, on more than one occasion, observed that what manufacturer "X" claimed to be legal turns out to be just a skosh too long.  This is not the majority case, but it does happen.

If I may suggest ... Buy one or two of these and measure and otherwise test them.  If they're good to go, great ... buy more.  If not, you have a couple mags for your "other things."

It's only production legal if it fits in the box while inserter in your particular handgun. You sight height, add-ons, etc all change how the combination of the mag and gun fit in the box. 

So unless the mfg can show that, its very hard for them to say "production legal" and actually be able to stand behind it. 

And just a FYI, I've had different gauges be ever so slightly different, so I had limited magazines that would gauge tightly in one, and fail in another. Any time you use any type of gauge that can determine outcome of your match, it's best to try it out and proceed with a tight fit only if you're sure both that your gauge is exactly correct AND that the gauge at the match will be either exactly correct or on the oversized side. 

22 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I think ownership of an official magazine gauge is essential for anyone serious about competing. There is so much variation in magazine length, especially when combined with other manufacturers base pads.

That wouldn’t help for Production - you’d need the USPSA box to check to see that the gun still fits with the new magazine in it.