Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti build

falconew

I have acquired a STI frame and aluminum 80%upper. I am thinking of building it up in 9mm . But definitely want a steel upper instead of aluminum. I have a para double stack now. I also want something with optics since my cataract surgery. Just looking for fun shooting not trying to be #1 just want to have a gun I can grow with and get better. 

1.  Will any 2011 frame fit that and what ramp ?

2.  Will a para slide fit on top without major modifications?

3.  Worth building up or add money into my para?  

4.  What are good red dots.  I like a fixed red dot. With a circle ⭕️ around a dot. 

I think you have some lingo mixed up so it’s tough to decipher. Sounds like maybe you have an STI grip and an aluminum frame? The frame ramp cut does have to match the barrel ramp style. Ramped barrels come in 2 varieties, Wilson/Nowlin and Clark/Para. 

once you confirm confirm the barrel in your Para upper matches your frame cut, the frame can be fit to the slide/barrel. 

Edited by TheSandMan491

8 minutes ago, TheSandMan491 said:

I think you have some lingo mixed up so it’s tough to decipher. Sounds like maybe you have an STI grip and an aluminum frame? The frame ramp cut does have to match the barrel ramp style. Ramped barrels come in 2 varieties, Wilson/Nowlin and Clark/Para. 

once you confirm confirm the barrel in your Para upper matches your frame cut, the frame can be fit to the slide/barrel. 

Yes sti grip with an 80% aluminum frame.   Would it be safe to say since it’s a para I need a para ramp when looking for a frame ?  

tried posting a picture but saying it’s too large to post. 

11 hours ago, falconew said:

Yes sti grip with an 80% aluminum frame.   Would it be safe to say since it’s a para I need a para ramp when looking for a frame ?  

tried posting a picture but saying it’s too large to post. 

Study this drawing to determine your current equipment:

Barrel Ramps.jpg

On 8/11/2023 at 7:09 PM, falconew said:

I have acquired a STI frame and aluminum 80%upper. I am thinking of building it up in 9mm . But definitely want a steel upper instead of aluminum. I have a para double stack now. I also want something with optics since my cataract surgery. Just looking for fun shooting not trying to be #1 just want to have a gun I can grow with and get better. 

1.  Will any 2011 frame fit that and what ramp ?

2.  Will a para slide fit on top without major modifications?

3.  Worth building up or add money into my para?  

4.  What are good red dots.  I like a fixed red dot. With a circle ⭕️ around a dot. 

1 mostly yes, I believe Bul and SPS are a bit different but everything else should fit a STI plastic grip 

2 Define major modification? the slide will likely not fit on the frame and will require fitting also the barrel will likely need refit. if your up for building an 80% then the fitting required for the upper shouldn't scare you the question is are you up for it and do you have the required tools.

3 nothing wrong with a para frame, just a few less options for mags and magwells

4 I think Holosun makes several circle dots 

5 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

1 mostly yes, I believe Bul and SPS are a bit different but everything else should fit a STI plastic grip 

2 Define major modification? the slide will likely not fit on the frame and will require fitting also the barrel will likely need refit. if your up for building an 80% then the fitting required for the upper shouldn't scare you the question is are you up for it and do you have the required tools.

3 nothing wrong with a para frame, just a few less options for mags and magwells

4 I think Holosun makes several circle dots 

Would not be doing the work on the 80%. With that said, spoke with a builder and he suggested just buying a frame compared to him machining it.  Plus this is aluminum and will wear out quicker.  Makes sense to me. 

I do like my Para’s.  Might cut the top and install a holosun dot and use that for now.  Then slowly spend more on the STI and build it right.  

I agree if your going to build a 2011 start with a fully machined frame and build it with the parts you want all the way through, there is really no cheep way to build one so you may as well get what you really want. If you want into the 2011 world on a budget the Prodigy is likely the lowest cost option. 

One thing on the 80% frame, having someone that's not you complete one for you means they need to have an 07 FFL (manufacturer) 

37 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I agree if your going to build a 2011 start with a fully machined frame and build it with the parts you want all the way through, there is really no cheep way to build one so you may as well get what you really want. If you want into the 2011 world on a budget the Prodigy is likely the lowest cost option. 

One thing on the 80% frame, having someone that's not you complete one for you means they need to have an 07 FFL (manufacturer) 

Yeah he has his ffl for that. I think I will build up my para more get more experience and slowly build up the sti 

10 hours ago, season94 said:

You can't go wrong with Trijicon RMR Type 2 RM07

Just found me the new Holosun 507 comp. Taking my Para to get cut and get the plate installed to put it on. 

Edited by falconew