Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open spring set up

Dfehr401

I like a quick return and flat, I'm looking at minimal dot movement rather than how it "feels" in the hand.  Current setup is a 5.4 barrel 2x 3/16 popple with 2 port Binary comp.  Load is 9.9 gr of AA7 at 1.165 using a 7lb recoil and 15lb mainspring.  Gun is very flat in video and returns quick.

Springs don't do much to change the feel of an Open gun.  The load (bullet weight, powder charge) is a much bigger part of it. 

I've shot several top Open shooters pistols over the years and rarely are they tuned for super-flatness.  The ones I've discussed it with prefer a little flip for shot calling.  We learned with the 9x25 Dillon that ultimate flatness was a fools errand.

Im trying to set up my square deal b for 38 sc but not really able to figuring the whole set up out so ill leave it at 9mm and just buy 38 when its on sale or I find it.  Might be time for an upgrade if Im going to stick with it.  I was playing with springs because Im only shooting eley ammo right now.  I found some armscor that shoots real flat but im running low.

I do tune my Open guns with springs.  For.me.it makes a.difference.  10 lb. recoil, 18 lb. main spring and Cheesy std.radius fps.  9 lb. recoil and 17 lb. main spring in backup.  Same firing pin stop.  Both have.perfect.return to.zero.  My main gun has many,.many Moe rounds thru it.

Edited by zzt

my spring philosophy is

#1 Reliability, no mater what else it must run 100% the end no exceptions.

#2 Dot return, I want the dot to come back to the spot it left from, current gun this is a 8lb variable last gun was a 7lb variable, this is also dependent on grip, mainspring weight,  firing pin stop geometry, slide weight, comp, barrel holes, and load.

for reference I have been running 17lb main springs, I am planning to do some experiments with heavier springs and different geometry firing pin stops but haven't got to it yet.