Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 627 38 Super Diameter bullet?

DukeSoprano

One of my squad mates is picking up a 627 in 38 Super and I already reload 38 Super for my open guns and 1911s.

I have bullets from .355 to .358

I had heard that even the 929 has a .358 barrel? But I don't know about the Super comp.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

My 929 has a .357 barrel, I think most of them are the same. It's most likely the 38 Super does too. That way S&W can use the same barrels for 9mm, 38 Super and 38/357.  It was rumored that the first 929s had a .355 barrel, but I don't know if they did or not.

Best way is to a hundred, like a sample pack, of different bullets.  Blue Bullets has the same 160 RN in .358 and .355, and test for accuracy from a bench.  Even better if you had a Ransom Rest, but few do.  More than likely the .358 will be more accurate, but it's possible there could be no detectable difference.

There's so many variables such as muzzle crown, forcing cone, cylinder throat, rifling condition, cylinder chamber condition or even general bore condition.  For example if the rifling has enough wear a larger or harder bullet may be best.  If the cylinder throat is oversized a larger bullet will be needed.  If everything is on the tight side of tolerances you might not see any difference between the sizes.

Good Luck