Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VR80 - Install aftermarket parts, THEN break in, or break in, THEN install aftermarket parts?

42ATK

Specifically looking at an aftermarket trigger and muzzle brake (and a mag well but that shouldn't impact performance)

Also what're the recommended upgrades to the gun? Anything with the bolt, buffer, trigger, muzzle device specifically? :D

Edited by 42ATK

The safest route would be to break in first then make changes.  That way if you have any issues they will be easier to chase down since you know it’s not from any changes you made. That being said, I’m guilty of not always doing things the safe way.

The easiest, fastest, cheapest way to break in a VR80, is NOT shooting a bunch of ammo!  

Completely break it down and clean ALL of the shipping goop off of evertything.

Shoot or try to shoot a box of Winchester AA (not Walmart white box) or Remington STS (not Gun Club) 1250fps 1-1/8oz ammo.  Even if it runs OK, pull the shotgun apart and gently polish the feed ramp, smooth the sharp edges around the edge of the chamber and extractor cut. 

Inspect the 3 gas ports in the barrel, remove any burrs and if necessary ream the ports to .112" diameter.  I think most of the break in process most people have to go through is burning away all the burrs and junk in the gas ports.

Check the extractor fit.  Mine would not hold the case rim while hand cycling the action.  The shell would just fall off the extractor before it got to the ejector.  I got a spare from Advanced Tactical and filed the inside pad until it would actually touch the rim of the shell. 

Polish and break the sharp edges of the lower receiver feed ramp with a Cratex pointed bit.

Carefully polish and break the sharp edges around the extractor cut in the barrel with the Cratex bit, but don't get too aggressive.

Lube the action slides and moving bolt surfaces with a light gun oil like Lucas red or Mobil One.

Zero lube on any part of the gas system.  Use the Light piston.

Try shooting another box of the Winchester or Remington 1250fps ammo, if it runs try a box of the 1145 AA or STS.  It it runs, keep shooting, then break it down again and look for any new burrs, debris or heavy wear.  Clean and polish as necessary.  If it's still fussy about light ammo change the buffer and buffer spring to something like the Taccom 3G assembly and possibly look at reaming the gas ports to .120".

Nolan

On 7/15/2023 at 6:06 AM, 42ATK said:

thank you for the feedback! Once I have it broken in how long should this bad boy work?

We shoot 2 VR80'S in 3gun.  1 is pretty much 100%. The 2nd has had a couple of issues,  but runs good now.  Did all of what Nolan said. Cleaning up the mag edges,  removing the bolt hold open, smoothing the follower,  and just for precautions spray dry teflon in mags when cleaning.  Both have several thousand rounds on them,  shooting only Winchester AA 1145. Smooth hard hull helps feeding. 

gerritm 

On 7/15/2023 at 6:06 AM, 42ATK said:

thank you for the feedback! Once I have it broken in how long should this bad boy work?

I shoot with a guy that was one of the first VR80 adoptors in our 3 gun scene here in DFW. He has over 7000 rounds through his. If you check out the VR80 Facebook group, he's one of the moderators there. He has also done a number of helpful videos on maintenance and other things specific to the platform - Video Video

My personal VR80 Race was built by Tooth and Nail Armory, so it came to me with the modifications Nolan outlined above plus their handguard and mid-barrel compensator. As long as I've chamber checked the ammo, it runs like a top. I'm nowhere near the 7000 round mark, but I expect it to last quite a while. There are a few known failure points - mostly on the slide assembly - THIS PART 

MF48-A__36548__15919.1667591774.PNG

The "ears" that protrude into the receiver to push the bolt back are known to crack and shear after a while. My buddy is on his second one of these parts - his first one broke during a match about a year ago, he now carries a spare. I have yet to get a spare since they have been out of stock for quite a while.