Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else do this? Lee Factory Crimp die.

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Don't forget 9mm brass is all different thickness.  I load Blazer exclusively for a 9mm revolver.  Using presized brass with a a clutch of 1 on my Mark7 Blazer and FC will load fine but most others require a clutch of 4-5 (ie the press stops with a 1 setting) .  Meaning S&B and CBC are a LOT thicker.

I notice this with S&B and CBC also. 

I make minor adjustments, typically with seating depth, as I go from one headstamp to another.

When going from Blazer to SB/CBC I'll get a slight longer COL if I don't make a slight adjustment.

Opposite going from CBC to Blazer my COL will be a little shorter than my target if I don't adjust.

That might be OCD but it's the way I've always done it.

12 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

So it fails your gauge.  Does it go in your chamber?

I have not tried the actual chamber.  I thought the whole reason for using a case gauge was to avoid that extra step.

2 hours ago, ReconNav said:

I have not tried the actual chamber.  I thought the whole reason for using a case gauge was to avoid that extra step.

Every chamber is different. Some chambers are generous with respect to SAAMI specs and some chambers are tight.

Each manufacturer tends to follow a pattern. Some cut their chambers tight; some cut them loose.

Another issue to consider is the "leade" or throat that extends from the chamber to where the rifling in the barrel starts.

That dimension impacts how long you can load your cartridge before the bullet hits the rifling.

Some manufacturers allow for a more generous leade/throat; some are more constrained.

The actual bullet you choose also enters into this.

For example CZ barrels are known to have a rather short throat compared to others. That limits how long you can load your ammo.

When it comes to gauges the same thing is true. Some are tighter. Some are looser. Some allow a longer COL; some do not.

It is a bit of a gray area; a bit of art; a bit of science.

It is a good idea to get a feel for how your particular gun's chamber reacts to rounds that are more than flush with the particular gauge you are using.

Your gauge could be tight. Your gun could be loose. In this case you could be calling rounds as "failed" even though they would be totally functional in YOUR gun. They might fail every time in my gun.

So every chamber can vary. Every gauge can vary. 

As I indicated earlier my gauge is more generous than my chambers. Therefore anything which is even close to gauging; ie. just how flush to the gauge is it... ???, will chamber fine in my guns. In my gauge the rounds can be surprisingly high and still function just fine.

In my experience that may not be typical but is also not surprising. But I shoot guns which typically have very forgiving chamber dimensions.

It is entirely possible to have the reverse situation where your gauge is actually more forgiving than your chamber.

That doesn't happen all that often but be aware of the possibility.

In the end you get a feel for how your ammo will react to your gauge and how that affects it's shootability in your gun.

To use your gauge as the sole determination of whether a round is good or bad means you are most likely tossing perfectly functional rounds. For YOUR gun.

I'd also suggest doing a bit of research on the concept of "plunk testing" your ammo. A gauge is a tool but not the ultimate authority.

9 hours ago, ReconNav said:

As mentioned, maybe consider the gauge to pretty much be an absolute assurance, anything that passed the gauge is G2G for a match or a school situation, but the ones that failed are still probably OK for practice.

I think the suggestion is to take an example of a failed round and test how it drops into your pistol's barrel, not plunk test every one. 

I contacted Lee, and asked for the dimension of the case sizing portion of the 9mm Carbide Factory Crimp die (SKU: 90860).  They responded back with .378" to .381".

I then measured several cases to get the case thickness, from a variety of brass, including Hornady nickel plated brass, and brass from Federal, Winchester, and Blazer. I measured several examples of each.  All measured .010" or .011".

So, with the smallest dimension of the sizing ring of .378", and the thickest cases at .011", the smallest possible dimension is .356".  I'm using .355" Blue Bullets, so I doubt any sizing of the bullet is occurring.

Edited by ReconNav

37 minutes ago, ReconNav said:

I contacted Lee, and asked for the dimension of the case sizing portion of the 9mm Carbide Factory Crimp die (SKU: 90860).  They responded back with .378" to .381".

I then measured several cases to get the case thickness, from a variety of brass, including Hornady nickel plated brass, and brass from Federal, Winchester, and Blazer. I measured several examples of each.  All measured .010" or .011".

So, with the smallest dimension of the sizing ring of .378", and the thickest cases at .011", the smallest possible dimension is .356".  I'm using .355" Blue Bullets, so I doubt any sizing of the bullet is occurring.

You have to remember that the 9mm case tapers inside so they get thicker closer to the head. As I mentioned before Hornady has the least amount of internal taper and will easily handle the heavy bullets. 

On 7/3/2023 at 10:47 AM, ReconNav said:

Maybe I wasn't clear, and yes I searched/read about the Lee FCD, before deciding to use it.  I'm asking if anyone else runs cartridges that fail the gauge, back through the FCD again?

Yep…I hundo them and set any failed rounds aside. When I get to the end of the bin I just run the fails back through the FCD and try them back in the hundo. Two time fails are treated as rejects.