Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info on PCC short barrel weights

I run a Leadstar Prime PCC stock and love it.  It came with a 16.1" pencil barrel.  It balances perfectly.  I'm having problems with factory ammo in it.  Blazer 9mm 115@1125fps shoots perfectly well.  Magtech 9mm 115@1135fps shoots so hard it has more recoil that the 147gr 144PF load I use for falling steel.  Both feel the same out of my pistol.

I tried a Wiland 5.5" shrouded barrel.  Unfortunately, it unbalanced the gun and it became whippy.  I went back to the 16".

So, I'm hoping there is a shorter, shrouded barrel, or comp'd barrel out there that has some weight to it.  The Taccom and Wiland are too light and move the balance point into the stock.  Any thoughts.

I have the JP Ultralight shrouded barrel (5.5") on my GMR-15.  I use it for steel challenge because it is so light up front, certainly snappier though.  I use a pretty light load - 120PF if I recall, going to experiment with lighter loads and changing the buffer weights.  

My JP-5's barrel feels much lighter than my standard 14.5" GMR barrel but I don't know if those are compatible with your setup.

Phil 

Steve, I've often had the same hypothesis about PCC with very lightweight setups and the adverse effect on absorbing recoil.  

What type of buffer / spring setup are you running and have you played around in that space ? 

4 hours ago, jrdoran said:

What type of buffer / spring setup are you running and have you played around in that space ? 

Currently running the standard Blitzkrieg buffer, their 2.5 oz. short stroke plug and a 308 carbine spring.  I've tried the Sheel Roller delayed buffer, gen 1 and the Taccom Magnetically delayed buffer, Gen 2.  Neither were satisfactory.

MBX has a nice barrel that I use for both USPSA and Steel Challenge (PCCI).  It's a 10.5" barrel with a 6" MBX Pro Comp I run it with Scheels Gen 2.  I found the best ammo for that set up is PNR 135 gr for steel challenge (PCCI) and Eley PCC ammo for USPSA.

I don't reload, in my search for off the shelf PCC ammo I found PNR's PCC steel challenge ammo to be very soft shooting. The Eley ammo for USPSA, had the best recoil impulse I've found after I stopped using the Blitzkrieg HD buffer, weight, and .308 spring. I think a lot of it has to do with the 10.5" of barrel and the pro comp. The barrel is lighter but it's enough weight out front to keep that fiber flat when I shoot irons in steel challenge. Federal's PCC ammo isn't as soft shooting as their earlier versions, round nose version.