Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battered BUL SAS II UR

fpf

TOPIC MOVED TO 1911 Style Pistols:

Need some help figuring this out gang.  I noticed some damage starting on the recoil spring guide and the two corresponding spots on the barrel lugs where the two parts meet.  Not just wear but dings and dents.  Here’s a link to the photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zqbv8dyng73cyb/IMG_0230.JPG?dl=0

I have about 7000 rounds of 9 minor ammo through the gun.  Before I started shooting major stuff, I replaced the 7lb recoil spring with a 12 lb spring. I now have about 1500 9mm major rounds through it so far.  

What drove my decision to install the heavier spring was the notion that the heaviest spring which will allow functionality is the way to go if shooting major loads. Now, I’m not so sure. It seems to me that the sole source of energy which creates the contact between theses two parts is the power of the recoil spring. For this reason, I’m thinking going back to the lighter one now makes sense given the battering I’m seeing.

The gun functioned flawlessly with both major and minor loads with both the 12 lb spring AND the 8 lb - so functionality is not an issue. 

I have an open mind about it, but I don’t see any benefit to using a recoil buffer since it does not appear to affect the interaction of these two specific parts. 

Questions: Does my amateur analysis make any sense?

For those of you with hands on BUL experience, what springs are you running to handle 9 major ammo?

What are your thoughts on installing the recoil buffer especially since I’m going with a much lighter spring to shoot major loads.

Thanks in advance to the brain trust out there for your time and candid thoughts.

Edited by fpf

Hi, I also have and shoot a BA SAS 2 UR in 9 mm major (166 PF). I have around 9000 rounds through it. Around 7500 rounds my slide cracked at the ejection port. It was replaced under warranty. I use an 8 pounds recoil spring and a plastic/rubber buffer. I just checked your picture and the same area on my UR, but cannot see any similar wear marks on mine. did you check with BA directly?

Edited by StefVanHauwe

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks - this guide is definitely battered.  I’ve reached out to BUL and am waiting to hear what they think should be done.  I’ve smoothed out the dents and dings on both parts and put another 500 major rounds through it (with the 8lb. spring) and haven’t seen any more damage. I am still concerned however about whether barrel lockup has been negatively affected. 

I’ll post a follow up later

This is fairly common in guns not made to GI specification, the link lug shows ahead of the recoil spring abutment in the frame and contact by the recoil spring guide head dings it up in recoil.  

The quick fix is to bevel the head of the guide so it does not touch.  A buffer is not going to help, it does not change the relative positions of guide and lug.  

Thank you Jim and I agree a buffer does not address this particular issue. However, I always thought that the contact points between the recoil spring guide and the barrel lugs was essential to setting the slide and barrel in the correct relative positions.

If I understand your post, it’s advisable to bevel the guide to avoid all contact with the lugs? 

Thanks again for chipping in here. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 10:51 PM, fpf said:

TOPIC MOVED TO 1911 Style Pistols:

Need some help figuring this out gang.  I noticed some damage starting on the recoil spring guide and the two corresponding spots on the barrel lugs where the two parts meet.  Not just wear but dings and dents.  Here’s a link to the photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zqbv8dyng73cyb/IMG_0230.JPG?dl=0

I have about 7000 rounds of 9 minor ammo through the gun.  Before I started shooting major stuff, I replaced the 7lb recoil spring with a 12 lb spring. I now have about 1500 9mm major rounds through it so far.  

What drove my decision to install the heavier spring was the notion that the heaviest spring which will allow functionality is the way to go if shooting major loads. Now, I’m not so sure. It seems to me that the sole source of energy which creates the contact between theses two parts is the power of the recoil spring. For this reason, I’m thinking going back to the lighter one now makes sense given the battering I’m seeing.

The gun functioned flawlessly with both major and minor loads with both the 12 lb spring AND the 8 lb - so functionality is not an issue. 

I have an open mind about it, but I don’t see any benefit to using a recoil buffer since it does not appear to affect the interaction of these two specific parts. 

Questions: Does my amateur analysis make any sense?

For those of you with hands on BUL experience, what springs are you running to handle 9 major ammo?

What are your thoughts on installing the recoil buffer especially since I’m going with a much lighter spring to shoot major loads.

Thanks in advance to the brain trust out there for your time and candid thoughts.

8lb or 9lb for major. 12 is wayyyy to heavy.

For sure. An update to this thread is that BUL customer service has offered to inspect and fix FREE of charge despite the expiration of warranty. I cover shipping costs. 

That’s extraordinary follow up service

On 7/10/2023 at 4:14 PM, fpf said:

For sure. An update to this thread is that BUL customer service has offered to inspect and fix FREE of charge despite the expiration of warranty. I cover shipping costs. 

That’s extraordinary follow up service

Nice! Hope they can fix it.