Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Hammer Pin

chp5

I have a .357 revolver with a problem. The hammer pin - the one that goes through the hammer (the one the hammer rotates on) - snapped. It broke where it meets the left, inside portion of the frame.

It's not a clean break. Some of the pin is still in the little hole in the frame. I've had two smiths tell me they don't want to mess with it (I don't blame them).

I bought it used and there's no warranty. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edited by chp5

The factory can fix it.

There are a few well-equipped gunsmiths around the country who can fix it. This job generally requires refinishing the gun.

If it's a good revolver otherwise, it's probably worth doing.

If it's an old clunker, maybe not...

Mike

As Carmoney suggested, send it back to factory for repair.

They can be repaired by a competent gunsmith with the correct factory jig and tooling. I recall a recertification S&W course I attended about 10 years back covered this topic quite well, however I would think that in the USA it would be factory repair job and should be covered by warranty no matter how old the gun is.

Get onto the factory and ask.

pjk

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nope, it's not a S&W. It's an older Rossi stainless 971, 2.5", 6 shot .357. It looks just like this [this is not MY revolver]: Rossi 971

The problem is that it's an older model imported by Interarms out of VA. Rossi USA only works on the revolvers imported by BrazTech.

It's not a S&W, but I really like this revolver. It's beefy enough to make .357 rounds not hurt, has excellent grips, good sights, smooth action and is pretty accurate.

However, if it's only worth $200-250, then spending at least $100 to get it fixed and ship it (I'm guessing) may not be worth it.

What's a fair asking price for it AS IS with the broken pin?

You might try Tom Kilhoffer at TK Custom (http://www.moonclips.com/). He once told me he had done some S&W pins, it was just a pain. Most of the time those pins are soldered in. S&W can replace them with an oversized Crowned Stud that doesn't require refinishing, but is then seen instead of being blended in.

You may have to drill it out and have a new Stud pressed in like the S&W Crowned Stud. Either way you're probably looking at some expense and it may not look that good.

May be better off getting a new one.

Cy - IIRC, Taurus bought Rossi. I'd call and see if they'd do it. It might even come under their lifetime repair policy. If so, get it fixed, keep it for a truck gun or something.

Thanks - I called. Taurus/Rossi won't work on the Rossi guns imported by the old importer - Interarms.