Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Development Question

SIGcurious

I'm trying to work up a 38 Special load for Steel Challenge (so PF not important).  I have 4 different Hodgdon powders and a bunch of Hornady 125gr FP/XTP bullets on hand.  When I look at the Hodgdon and Hornady reloading manuals, they seem to have differing suggested powder loads. 

For example, for 231 powder, the Hodgdon manual has:

• Starting Load: 4.3 gr  
  • Maximum Load : 4.9 gr 
  • OAL 1.455"

while the Hornady manual has:

• Starting Load: 4.8 gr  
  • Maximum Load : 5.7 gr 
  • OAL 1.450"

I would expect some differences, but not that much ... especially with the Hornady loads having a shorter OAL.  So my question is, what should be my method for choosing the range of loads to try?

Thanks.

Edited by SIGcurious

Joe and I recently and briefly touched on the topic of book charge weights:

In summary...charge weight ranges change from book to book and year to year because there are too many variables. e.g. Fear of litigation, universal receiver rigs, pressure testing equipment, margin of error etc.

To emphasize the point, here's the data from Lyman's 48th Edition:

image.png.076ac12824c26b58ac68ebc0281e27dc.png

Assuming your data/research above is correct (Did they use the same bullet? Are any of those designated as +P loads?) I would see 231 and that bullet as 4.3gr to 5.7gr (although Lyman has 3.9gr as the lowest charge weight, lobbing bullets at 589 fps, lol.)

In terms of selecting a starting charge weight, I would start with the lightest load and work your way up since PF isn't important. Test for accuracy at the farthest distance you expect to shoot.

Edited by 4n2t0
I forgot it was .38 special because I'm an idiot.

Yes - first question is if they both used the same bullet.

If not, the bullet is a prime part and data for the bullet is generally preferred.

If they are the same bullet, I would start at the lowest load and work up in 0.3gr increments, looking at chrono data, and looking at the accuracy, then make my determination from the results from your gun.

Yes, same bullet.  One thing I didn't notice before was the barrel lengths used.  Hodgdon's notes a 7.7" barrel vs Hornday's 4". 

I will start with the lowest load like Guy suggested and work up.  I will just watch the chrono.  I'll be interested to see what the results are so I'll have a better idea of which book to grab first when working up any future loads. 

I ran into the same situation with 231 and 230 Gold Dots in the 45. Most show a max of 5.7-5.5 of 231. I had an old manual that showed psi in a ladder type loading and 6.3 was under the caution limit. I first thought they maybe changed the burn rate but I worked up to that and it was the most accurate, cleanest and left the primers with nice rounded edges. It also shoots the same in several 45’s and runs right at 890 fps.