Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips for Shadow 2. Non Palm Swell

darthdively

3 hours ago, 858 said:

Have you guys tried practicing? That seems to help more than constantly changing parts 

I think I can only speak for myself for this but I'll try. For me, I rocked the LOK grips for close to 4k-5k rounds and always need a little more control in one specific area. I tried training for it as much as I can but with the way my hands are shaped, and where the trigger breaks, the area of my palm close to my trigger finger would always separate from the frame of the pistol which causes inconsistency. If I didn't do that my finger would be going too deep in my trigger and be too dangerous when it comes to speedy mag changes and going from position to position.  I also tried changing the placement of my hand but it caused the base of my palm to be too far to the support hand side making it much more awkward to shoot and weakened my pistol recoil management. So spending the money to get something that fits my hand better made sense and it has paid off well for me. I hate that I had to spend that kind of money but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, MNshooter said:

Fair question. How’s the new magwell? 🤷‍♀️

IMG_2851.jpeg

After three years I changed it out to offset the weight of the new red dot. I probably wouldn't call that "constantly changing parts" but you might. I guess that depends on how hurt your feelings are. Practice more, complain about grips less. 

11 hours ago, 858 said:

Have you guys tried practicing? That seems to help more than constantly changing parts 

Or it could be that guns and grips aren’t a one size fits all and it does take trying grips to find the ones that work best. I see in you gun pic you’re not using factory grips so you’ve had to try out grips as well.

35 minutes ago, mveto said:

Or it could be that guns and grips aren’t a one size fits all and it does take trying grips to find the ones that work best. I see in you gun pic you’re not using factory grips so you’ve had to try out grips as well.

I used the same grips on a TSO and CM for 5 years and recently changed to add weight. That's a bit different than claiming you lost .005% grip strength or your Achilles heel hurts because of your grips. I'd wager that no matches were won, or lost, by anyone in this thread due to grips and that practicing with the stock grips would net greater results. That includes myself, the changes I made netted zero score improvement (broken sight notwithstanding).

Practice has always been the single best predictor of match results, wether with a factory stock Glock or a SVI. You're lying to yourself if you think you need razor sharp grips, 69oz of weight, 8lb springs instead of 9lb, .01mm more/less grip width, etc. If you bought new grips and the gun feels different then practice until it doesn't. Running out and buying more grips won't help the big loss you're about to suffer next match. The truth hurts, hurts so much someone needed to dig through my posts to find a picture with a changed part. 

Edited by 858

If you bought new grips and the gun feels different then practice until it doesn't. Running out and buying more grips won't help the big loss you're about to suffer next match. 

I wonder if this also applies to the ~ 3 oz change from a new optic. Or maybe that’s something you can’t train your way out of without buying new gear (magwell). 

On 8/5/2023 at 7:45 PM, darthdively said:

can you tell us how wide they are on the gun? Looks like a non palm swell/uniform width/thickness the whole way?

this thread has taken a weird turn. Personally, I am still looking for new grips. As the new to me shadow two gives nowhere for my support hand to make contact with the gun. It is simply too small. 

20 hours ago, 858 said:

If you are going to put the effort into practicing I don't know why you wouldn't also put the effort into getting your equipment the best you can. To each their own though. 

8 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If you are going to put the effort into practicing I don't know why you wouldn't also put the effort into getting your equipment the best you can. To each their own though. 

You would. OP said he put in 5K rounds and couldn't love the change. I get it and that makes sense. There's a whole lot of other responses that say practice is probably more important than chasing gear. I'm guilty of it myself. 

4 hours ago, Seoderus said:

can you tell us how wide they are on the gun? Looks like a non palm swell/uniform width/thickness the whole way?

this thread has taken a weird turn. Personally, I am still looking for new grips. As the new to me shadow two gives nowhere for my support hand to make contact with the gun. It is simply too small. 

Here's a couple images and I'll post a few more after this one

20230815_084336.jpg

20230815_084349.jpg

I did a spare set of factory grips with 60/90. My first time doing it so the result isn't pretty but feels great. It added a good amount of thickness to the grips, if anyone wants to know how much specifically I can measure them with a caliper.

PXL_20230816_192514744.thumb.jpg.448c1bea4ca91955fc9f47b8bf283846.jpg