Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Fcd And 38 Super

• 1 month later...

I used to use them but have quit using them in pistol calibers. I still use them on .223.

The reason I quit is twofold. First, they add a LOT of work, in that they at least double the amount of force needed for the strokes of the press. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to run the press without the FCD in place.

The second major fact is that I load lead bullets and I noticed that the FCD was really working the brass over the lead bullets. In effect, the FCD was resizing the bullet through the brass case, which is going to make it more susceptible to movement inside. Some people are bothered by the slight swelling of the case where the bullet is, personally I take that as a good sign that the bullet is being held firmly in place by the tight case, which is what I want.

In the end I agree with the comment that they're a solution, or at least an alleged solution, to bad sizing. Once I got my dies set up right I simply don't need them, and if I don't need them I'm not going to add the extra work.

I shoot several thousand rounds a month and never have a failure to feed, so why bother?

• 6 months later...