Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Shell Plate Keeps Tightening

I can get through about 15 rounds and after indexing the shell plate that many times it tends to tighten up. I can't seem to figure out why it is doing this. I have taken the area completely apart, cleaned and reassembled with no joy. When I had the thing apart it looked as if the bolt that secures the shell plate and runs through the indexing handle has some gouges in it at the indexing handle doesn't seem to be very smooth. Maybe this thing is catching on the bolt as it turns and screwing it in? I was thinking about taking a file to it and removing the burrs, but should I call Dillon first, before I start filing? Thanks for the help,

JOe

I have this snippet of info I found online somewhere that I saved:

the best way I've personally found to adjust the shellplate bolt tension is as follows: First, loosen the set screw on the left side of the shaft about 1/2 turn. Lightly grease the underside of the head of the shellplate bolt, where it fits into a recess in the top of the index sprocket. Tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops, then back it up between 1/16 and 1/8 turn. Snug the set screw on the side of the shaft. Now make sure that the shellplate rotates without dragging. Finally, press down on the edge of the shellplate between stations 2 and 3. It should not feel springy. If it does, then the shellplate needs to be a tiny bit tighter.

I use slideglide under the shellplate bolt, and it fills the voids nicely and doesn't allow the grit to gum up the works.

I had the same problem. Lets just call it a DOH! moment. I was so happy with my new toy I oiled the shell plate bolt. :( It is damn difficult for the setscrew to grab the bolt if there is lube on it.

A quick degreasing and it was all better.

+1 on the tightness of the shell plate. I got mine a little loose once and had a batch of 2000 reloads which had high primers that were untoiceable to the eye or feel. Makes for interesting failure drills in a training class.

steven

Check the set screw, make sure its really tight.

Also check the metal doohickey between stations 4 and 1, the one that kicks the loaded round into the acro bin, make sure it is pushed down as far as it will go.

are you tightening the set screw in the left side of the ram after adjusting the shell plate?

SON OF A B#%$^&%!!!! I knew I forgot something. Tightened the set screw and everything is kosher. I like the internet, solves a lot of problems. Thanks guys,

JOe