Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1100 clunk

12 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Still a bit of hang up but not much.

Are you using case lube?

If not, this would most likely be the issue.  Yes, Die manufacturers indicate that you can load without lube.  Lube saves wear on all of your equipment (especially dies) and it also creates a much smoother loading process in all aspects.  

Edited by Boomstick303

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Boomstick303 said:

Are you using case lube?

If not, this would most likely be the issue.  Yes, Die manufacturers indicate that you can load without lube.  Lube save wear on all of your equipment (especially dies) and it also creates a much smoother loading process in all aspects.  

My sentiments exactly!

👍

3 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Good point.  I get so used to not lubing pistol brass, that I should try it...

This was recommended to me several years ago by the original MBF designer; and I've been using it ever since!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101274264

Like @Boomstick303stated, it will truly shock you just how smooth your press/reloading experience with be!  I also allow just a bit to get in the mouth of several cases when I'm spraying a batch, and it will smooth up your powder funnel release tremendously!

Does not contaminate/effect the performance of your powder.

Highly recommended!

3 hours ago, Chapo said:

I corrected the flare.  Also cleaned the crimp die and the press operation is much smoother.  Still a little hang up coming, from what it seems, the sizing die.  So I took it apart and cleaned it and lubed it.  Still a bit of hang up but not much.  May have to contact Dillon to make sure is not something mechanical like the lower bearing assembly.

How many rounds through the machine?

Ahh Not sure.  Probably around 5k. 

Let me pose another follow-up question, for resizing I am using the Lee U die.  So when the case is coming out of the die you feel not just the regular friction, but like a thunk that you feel at the handle.  Could this be sizing sleeve? That "thunk" was felt in two places originally: the crimp die (which is solved) and the U sizing die.  Even with lubed cases I feel it.

Did you clean your sizing die too?  If your crimp die needed to be cleaned I assume your sizing die needs to be cleaned as well.  They should all be cleaned between 5K-10K depending on what is going on.  I tend to clean my press closer to the 5k than the 10k range.  

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Ahh Not sure.  Probably around 5k. 

Let me pose another follow-up question, for resizing I am using the Lee U die.  So when the case is coming out of the die you feel not just the regular friction, but like a thunk that you feel at the handle.  Could this be sizing sleeve? That "thunk" was felt in two places originally: the crimp die (which is solved) and the U sizing die.  Even with lubed cases I feel it.

@Chapo  There are a lot of people successfully using the Lee U Die on this forum.  For me, it resulted in an unpleasant loading experience until I reinstalled my Redding Pro Titanium Sizing Die.  I have never changed it; and one now resides in my Mark 7 Apex 10 also.  IMO, it doesn't get any better for sizing/decapping 9mm brass!

If you have another sizing die, give it a try!!

👍

10 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I also cleaned the sizing die but notice the hang up was still there.

Have you used lube yet?

If you are using lube and it still hangs up, watch the decapping process.  It could be you are punching holes in the primers with the decapping pin and then the hang up is the primer being forced off of the pin and the pin passes back up through the brass.  Not a likely scenario but it can happen. 

2 hours ago, Chapo said:

Great advice hogrider.  Will try a redding die.  Boomstick, I also cleaned the sizing die but notice the hang up was still there.

Good luck!

And, if you need to purchase a Redding die, the folks at AA&A are excellent to deal with and offer great Customer Service!

https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com/product.sc?productId=2247

👍

Ok. So I changed the powder funnel to the one from DAA MBF and now the bullets don’t tip when indexing but I am having a BIG clunk from the funnel. Now I understand why so many of you were telling me to check it before. It wasn’t sticking with the other funnel but the bullets were tipping. Now the bullets are not tipping but big clunk. How can I remedy this?

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Ok. So I changed the powder funnel to the one from DAA MBF and now the bullets don’t tip when indexing but I am having a BIG clunk from the funnel. Now I understand why so many of you were telling me to check it before. It wasn’t sticking with the other funnel but the bullets were tipping. Now the bullets are not tipping but big clunk. How can I remedy this?

Polish the funnel and use a bit of case lube in the mouth of your cases.  Or take a q-tip and swab a bit of case lube on the funnel prior to your loading session.

THEN, if you still feel a bit of "tug" then POWER THROUGH IT and move on!

Doing these things when using new and/or wet cleaned brass are just a fact of life.  However, the benefits far outweigh these minor side effects.

IMO, the PE funnel comes with a much nicer polished finish..........

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1582

A good search showing how this has been addressed in the past:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Polish+the+Powder+Funnel+Expander+site:forums.brianenos.com&sxsrf=APwXEdfMsFvK94o8tca34TDwliHbZRM8Og:1684263694488&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiY6d6Zw_r-AhX-GTQIHaPkA3oQrQIoBHoECBAQBQ&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25#ip=1

HTHs!

It may get less, especially if you are loading new brass.  It is less with used brass that isn't squeaky-clean (dry tumbled clunks less than wet, lubed less than dry, etc).