Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicon carbide on brass grips

crg

I have a set of brass Lok grips with black cerakote. They have pretty aggressive texturing but I really like the grip of skateboard tape/silicon carbide and adding a tiny bit more width wouldn't hurt. I don't think tape will adhere well to the texture/shape but has anyone tried doing a silicon carbide job on cerakoted grips? Any recommendations for what epoxy would work?

Another option could be going with the smooth brass grips from Lok without cerakote. I think I may be able to get skateboard tape to adhere on those but if I'm buying another set of grips I'd prefer to go with aluminum which seem to only be offered with the aggressive texture. Also it will probably still be a nightmare getting the tape to form to a surface with so many non-right angles so silicon carbide still seems like the easier option.

I've use skateboard tape for years.  Most is on thin aluminum grips.  Never an issue with it sticking.  I think you shouldn't have any problems on cerakote.  The real issue is the texture.  The ability to stick will largely depend on how thick the adhesive layer is, and how soft so that it can be pressed into the texture, and how elastic/flexible the adhesive is.  I would try it and see what happens.  Don't be surprised if you need to go with a smooth grip. I cut several pieces for placement in specific areas on the grip.  I would not attempt one large piece and try to force it to fit the contour of the grip.  I cover the areas where I need the most grip.  Heals of the hand and palm, front strap, and rear of the grip.  Hope this helps.

{Edit.  Corrected auto-correct/can't type errors.}

Edited by GeneBray

7 hours ago, GeneBray said:

I've use skateboard tape for years.  Most is on thin aluminum grips.  Never an issue with it sticking.  I think you shouldn't have any problems on cerakote.  The real issue is the texture.  The ability to stick will largely depend on how think the adhesive layer is, and how soft so that it can be pressend into the texture, and elastic/flexible the adhesive is.  I would try it and see what happens.  Don't be surprised if you need to go with a smooth grip.  The I cut several pieces for placement in specific areas on the grip.  I would not attempt one large piece and try to force it to fit the contour of the grip.  I cover the areas where I need the most grip.  Heals of the hand and palm, front strap, and rear of the grip.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, this is really helpful. I'll give it a try with skateboard tape first and see how it goes.

3 hours ago, VeilAndrew said:

If you want more width, I would recommend the Patriot Defense brass grips.

Thanks I'll take a look at those.

I used Bob Smith epoxy off Amazon to do SC on Lok brass grips for the AXG pro. It worked okay and is fairly robust if you can get them remounted without chipping it. 

I just cleaned them with acetone before applying. I chipped some areas when mounting mine back on the gun but patched them up after. Easy enough to do a spot touch up job when needed. 

• 1 month later...

Honestly I have never used JB Weld on brass grips, but on many other things much more critical, oil immersed, and subjected to heat with no problems.  I do use it for silicon carbide on G10 grips and polymer frames.  Brass  grips should be no problem. Prep is everything.   Clean with brush, soap and water.  Then acetone or brake cleaner.  JB Weld will stick fine.