Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laser cartridge w 929

Squirrel45

S45:

Yes, but....

I am not sure anyone makes them for rimmed cartridges anyway.  Pistols, yes.

Most laser cartridges need to be zeroed.  The ones I have used had a elevation and windage screw and you put them into the blaster, dry fired and adjusted them as needed until you had them zeroed -- somewhat. 

If you want a laser for revolver, you will probably need the type that fit inside the muzzle like the old Beamhits.  They zero as I mentioned but since they stick out the barrel, you don't have to deal with the cylinder.  The problem may be in setting them off when you pull the trigger.  Or having them go off when the hammer falls and when the trigger resets.  Also, they do loosen up in the barrel and will fall out or get so loose your zero is shot.  You can't use them from a draw obviously.  

I bought a Mantis X a few months ago and it is a movement tracker but has a bunch of features that make dry and live firing more productive.  What they won't do is show you where you hit anything which can bother guys.  Doesn't bug me a bit because I can call my shots pretty well.  And I can use it live fire.

They come with a little plastic rail that uses adhesive.  I put it on the side of the barrel of my 627's and that is where they have stayed, live fire, dry fire, cleaning.  Guys put them on the bottom of their magazines for pistols.  Put the little Mantis X device on it, open the app on your cell phone and turn the thing on.  Choose a exercise and go for it.  Only once has it asked me to set the revolver down and let it calibrate.  Took four or five seconds.  

With the revolver though, you have to go into settings and turn on "Double Action" or you will get 'shots' when the trigger resets.

No zeroing, no problems.  Decent data.

GG

Edited by gargoil66

I will add that the lasers that flash when you drop the hammer may train you to look for the dot to see where you were pointed, this is not a good thing, the moment your hammer drops your eyes should be looking for the next target aiming spot, not looking at the target you just shot to see where the dot/hole is.

7 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I will add that the lasers that flash when you drop the hammer may train you to look for the dot to see where you were pointed, this is not a good thing, the moment your hammer drops your eyes should be looking for the next target aiming spot, not looking at the target you just shot to see where the dot/hole is.

Mike:

That too when using the cheaper reflective targets.  Providing the laser was zeroed which has always been the biggest problem with them.  If it is not zeroed, the feedback is poor.  May be close but close isn't good enough and may cause the shooter to implement some really poor solutions to a problem not of his making.  Or ruin his confidence. 

Also, the 'footprint' of the cheaper lasers is very big and the range is short.  The size of the dot on a target at fifteen feet is huge.  It is much bigger than most guy's call area and once these things get bigger than a call area, their value goes into the negative numbers.

Blah, Beamhits in their various forms and 'improvements' over decades.  Combat simulators that take hours to set up and calibrate, only to work for a short while then fail.  My own outlay for two SCATT systems (better than any Beamhit or laser bullet I have ever used but absolutely plagued with software and hardware problems).  Little laser bullets that don't work.

I wouldn't drop a cent on a laser based training system.  I did drop $240.00 on the Mantis X but it gives me some very precise data that has saved me a lot of time and ammo on ranges.  Of all of them, I would go with the Mantis but they are not for everyone for sure.

GG

I would spend the money on an AMG timer.  It's especially great for revo dryfire as it picks up the hammer drop so you know if you are actually getting faster.  Oh course you still have to see that you are on target .

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I would spend the money on an AMG timer.  It's especially great for revo dryfire as it picks up the hammer drop so you know if you are actually getting faster.  Oh course you still have to see that you are on target .

The AMGs timers are that sensitive to pick up a hammer click ?

On 3/8/2023 at 12:50 PM, MikeyScuba said:

I second this option.  If you even think you have an interest in an AMG timer - order it now.
Build time is pretty stout but worth it.
I ordered mine in August of 2022 and got it this past week.

Already cranked the sensitivity up and it is picking up dryfire hammer falls on my 625s and SSR.  VERY handy for reload practice.

11 hours ago, bigdog02 said:

If you even think you have an interest in an AMG timer - order it now.
Build time is pretty stout but worth it.
I ordered mine in August of 2022 and got it this past week.

This was the same time scenario for me. I ordered in August last year and just got it last week. Well worth the wait.