Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRS 22 LR Equipment Choices

PeterParfinik

Hmm, let’s see, about 8 months since my last post, still haven’t shot a match, but I’m on my second chassis (MPA), third scope (XTR Pro), got a tripod, Shmedium bag from Armageddon, and a few bricks of various ammo to test. But, I’ve also realized that I can’t test the ammo until I learn how to shoot a scoped rifle, so for now trying to find time to practice with basic CCI Standard. It sure is easy to spend money in this game…

:)

PRS22 is addictive and expensive. Look for NRL22 events also. Looks like you have the gear you need - I see tripod but need bipod more.

Match 22 ammo is frustrating. One lot of mediocre 22 ammo will shoot great and one lot of great 22 ammo will shoot mediocre. Just be aware and not let this frustrate you.

Posted (edited)

Yeah ammo in .22 is weird. 
In my rifle, CCI Blazer will shoot 3” groups at 50 yards until the barrel warms up. When it’s warm, it’ll shoot 1/4” with no fliers. 

SK Rifle match will shoot 1/4” but will have 1 in 8 or so fliers. 
I haven’t tried any Lapua. I’m sure it’s great, but one of the best things about shooting .22 is it’s not killing my wallet so I don’t think I’m going to even try Lapua. 

Edited by Matt1911

I am running a 10/22, the Ruger factory competition model (heavy barrel with adjustable stock) with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II.  I also run a Semi in centerfire.  Found that it simply works better for me.

As for ammo, CCI Standards.  Maybe if I get more serious about it I will switch to Eley.  Only issue I have found with the CCI is that every once in a while I will get a slightly long round that jams up in the magazines.