Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Question

gargoil66

Guys:  

I ask a lot of questions and here is another one.  I put it here because I would like to hear what revolver shooters have to say about it.  I am not sure if they would be different than pistol shooters but want to keep it with revolver shooters at first.

You have been training for a major match and have one last training session before you head to your competition.

Question is this.

What is your intent or end state for this last training session before your competition?

GG

All my training practices sessions are about improving my speed while keeping my accuracy. You should know that bigger matches will have distance, limited open targets, as well may have strong hand & weak hand standards.

Just get use to your gun and keep your practice about improving speed and keeping your accuracy. This takes many hours of shooting so make it fun above all!

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

What is your intent or end state for this last training session before your competition?

100% phycological for me and probably pointless**.   What I am doing by this last session before getting on plane next day is using timer for a start signal and letting performance happens, whatever it might be, its not trying learn anything or breakthrough, its just greasing the groove, a purely subjective experience and being 100% second nature having the rig on and shooting the gun.   

It may happen that just letting the performance happen creates a new personal best which has happened for me at least once* but I am not looking for it, I am not pushing past any zone into discomfort.

*I shot an 8 on near and far standards the day before I got on the plane and did a 20 at the match two days later which was a personal best on both for me.

**because I have also, at many points over doing this for going on 15 years, where I had periods of absolutely not even touching the gun at all for months, then going the match and it was like I never put anything down and was in grind the whole time.

Edited by testosterone

46 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

100% about confidence and comfort. I don't work on new skills or push par times in the last practice before a match. I'll drill any unusual shooting challenges from the match book—low ports, table starts, one-handed work, and the like.

The very last thing I do will be shoot groups, both to verify that my sights are dead on as close to the match as possible, and to prime myself to think "I can make every single shot this match requires" when I get there.