Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 spring question

THS

Put a tungsten rod and an ISMI 13lb spring in to my G35.  Has a 50% fail rate for the first mag.  Took it out and completed practice.  

Now, what spring rate is going to work?  The slide was returning forward before the rounds were fully up to the top of the mag, pinching the new round, by the projectile, against the feed ramp, projo up.  Looked just like the situation when using an M3 on a G22 with the std mag springs.

Is this a waste for 2 ounces of increased weight?  

Tanks,

Tom

Further info.

Factory ammo, makes 167PF.

Hi Cap mags, no sign of fed lip wear.  

THS guiderod for the 34/35/24 17L series.  When combined with 13lb spring the slide has about 1/16th of an inch less rearward travel.

I 'll count coils on the mag springs, but this malf happened with all 3 mags I tried, in a total of 15 rounds.

Tom

I use the same guiderod with a ISMI 17 lbs spring in G35 also used it with a 15 lbs, never had problems with this combinations.

THS, you haven't tried other springs yet?

Maybe shooting buddys that can provide you with it if you don't have?

DVC

Adrie

I have a 15 on hand too.  I'll try that to see what that might do, but once I cut the bag I'm out the 7.50 I spent on the spring.  As it is now I could return it.....

Checked the mags in 3 other .40's, G23, G22, and borrowed g22.  All ran fine.  My 35 works with these mags with the stock recoil spring system too.  

I'm still wondering if all this headache, and 80 bucks spent, is going to be worth the change...

Tom Skeer

I had ordered a stainless capeture rod and a #15 and 13# spring for a G20.  ISMI, thru Brownell's.

When installed, they shortened the backward travel of the slide.  I called ISMI.  Was told that Glock had, at one point, changed the cut in the recoil spring tunnel some.  I stuck everything back in the baggies and mailed the part straight to ISMI.  The replacements (newer specs)just came today.

ISMI...good service.  

I agree with all what hes been told on the gunspring forum    http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard//topic.cgi?forum=28&topic=72

Fieldstripped my G35 today and found my 17 lbs ISMI spring was broken.... Longest piece can now be used as 13 lbs i guess.....

Installed a new 15 lbs i had in stock and will return the pieces of the broken spring to ISMI so they can examine it. (Think i shot some 12000 rounds with this spring)

DVC

Adrie

Tried it again today.  Shot over 100 tounds with factory system;  no problems.  Installed Tungsten parts, and blammo, malfed every shot.  I have Grams springs in these mags now, and they're brand new!

The parts are for sale on the classified board.  I bought the glock for reliability and nothing else.  I can have that nagging question about functioning with my 1800 dollar STI, but that stays in the safe now.......  I'll trade 2 ounces of weight gained for reilability any time.

Tom