Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

He-man With Scoped Tactical Rifle?

Do any matches allow optics on a USPSA/IPSC Tactical Division Rifle to compete in He-Man?

Do some matches allow optics on the rifle for Heavy Metal but not He-Man?

Which matches do not allow any optics in Heavy Metal, nor in He-man?

This might look like a dumb question, but currently the only automatic rifle I own that allows the removal of both the handle/rear sight and the front sight is an AR-10 .308. I'll post my related AR-15 question under Rifle Technical.

He Man and Heavy Metal are ostensibly one and the same. USPSA uses the term Heavy Metal, while the outlaw matches typically use the He Man sobriquet. You will never run into both at the same match as they are the exact same division.

At the moment no matches allow scopes/optics in HM. As Keith says, it is under discussion at some matches, but at present, No!

He Man and Heavy Metal are ostensibly one and the same. USPSA uses the term Heavy Metal, while the outlaw matches typically use the He Man sobriquet. You will never run into both at the same match as they are the exact same division.

At the moment no matches allow scopes/optics in HM. As Keith says, it is under discussion at some matches, but at present, No!

Just as a point of clarification; Heavy Metal was first used by Superstition Mountain Mystery 3 Gun. USPSA is the one who borrowed the title.

-ld

A scoped .308 sounds like Tactical class with a major power factor. Why do we need another division?

I propose that "He Man/Heavy Metal"class stay with iron sights and a pump shotgun. If you want a soft shooting auto shotgun and a scope on your AR10 then Tactical class is already there waiting for you.

Carbon

the way the USPSA multi-gun rules are set up, Heavy Metal (or He Man, if you prefer) is set up as a *category* within a division. The rules are that it takes 5 or more shooters to qualify for a category within a division.

So, what that means for a USPSA multi-gun match is that...

... if 5 or more shooters show up with scoped tactical rifles that meet the Heavy Metal requirements, they will be recognized as a category within Tactical.

By the same token, if 5 or more shooters show up with scoped Open rifles that meet the Heavy Metal requirements, they'll be recognized as a category within Open.

Some of this is at Match Director's discretion (which categories he is going to give awards for, for example), but... just wanted to be clear, a scoped .308 Tactical rifle *can* have a place to play in USPSA competition. And... my personal suspicion is that HM Tactical is going to grow much the same way that "regular" Tactical division has... Tactical is currently the biggest division at most USPSA 3-gun and multi-gun matches (probably because our eyes are getting older and the shots are getting tougher), and I'd expect that to happen in HM as well.

$.02

Bruce

Hi Bruce, et al ..

One thing you sort of left out of your USPSA Heavy Metal (HM) description is the fact that since USPSA treats HM as a CATEGORY rather than a DIVISION a shooter cannot participate as a HM shooter AND as a Junior, Senior, Super Senior, or Woman because USPSA rules state that a shooter can only participate in ONE CATEGORY.

USPSA Tactical is a DIVISION. USPSA Heavy Metal is just a category of the Tactical Division if the rifle is scoped or the Limited/Standard Division if the rifle has iron sights.

I believe that USPSA would greatly increase participation by Heavy Metal Shooters if HM was a full blown division like it is is at RM3G match, SMM3G match, DPMS Tri-Gun match.

Until the USPSA fixes this situation and puts HM on its match applications I believe that HM participation at USPSA major events will remain stunted...

Best regards to All,

Darrell Humphrey

"A scoped .308 sounds like Tactical class with a major power factor. Why do we need another division?

I propose that "He Man/Heavy Metal"class stay with iron sights and a pump shotgun. If you want a soft shooting auto shotgun and a scope on your AR10 then Tactical class is already there waiting for you.

Carbon"

I agree 100%.

We have never been prevented from shooting "major power factor" rifles in limited/tactical or scoped tactical or open divisions. So have at it!

PK

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm................but who spawned and gave birth to the concept of these classes?????

"HE-MAN"/"Heavy Metal"

Jimmy you crazy cat - you just love to spawn trouble !!! :ph34r::lol:

The He-Man Heavy Metal concept can be, to the best of my knowledge, most recently attributed in a very large part to Eddie Rhodes, of Pueblo Colorado. If you don't know who Eddie Rhodes is you have not been shooting 3 Gun for very long. He has won more 3 gun matches than I can even think of ... :-)

Best to All,

Darrell Humphrey

Centennial, Colorado