Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Titan RDS vs Atlas Athena

3gunDMD

The Athena is going to be a lighter gun.  I believe the Titans have a steel grip, where the Athena has an aluminum grip.  The Athena was designed with the 9mm cartridge in mind, where the Titan was built around the .40.  If I were to have to get a Major gun for LO if they make that a Minor/Major division, I would buy the Titan RDS most likely.  If it is to be Minor only I will use my Athena.  

6 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

The Athena is going to be a lighter gun.  I believe the Titans have a steel grip, where the Athena has an aluminum grip.  The Athena was designed with the 9mm cartridge in mind, where the Titan was built around the .40.  If I were to have to get a Major gun for LO if they make that a Minor/Major division, I would buy the Titan RDS most likely.  If it is to be Minor only I will use my Athena.  

There isn't much info on the website yet about the Titan RDS but the person on the atlas customer service chat told me that the 9mm titans are now made with the aluminum alpha grips, but the 40's are made with steel grips.  He told me the 9mm Titan RDS weigh 38 oz.  I can't remember what my old 9mm titan with the evo grip weighs but I think it's closer to 50 oz.  

10 minutes ago, steveac1 said:

wonder if Atlas would cut a 2 year old 40 Titan v2 for their optic setup making it an RDS or iron sited 40. 

They said they’re working on this.  That would be pretty cool. 

probably a lot more profitable just to sell more guns though….

I agree 100%. I don't want to try and fund another pistol. If they can cut the existing slide, I would not mind 40 minor. Pistol could be used for Lim Maj, Lim Minor W or W/O optic. I asked about a 9mm slide to get fitted and it was the cost of other new guns. Thats too bad.

Still love the Titan in 40 Maj, Soft with the steel grip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 7:56 AM, 3gunDMD said:

They said they’re working on this.  That would be pretty cool. 

probably a lot more profitable just to sell more guns though….

Did they give you any kind of time line?

On 2/14/2023 at 8:16 AM, 3gunDMD said:

Is the Athena worth the extra $900 over the Titan RDS?  The weight difference is very slight and the barrel length is 4.6" vs 5".  

I’m pretty sure there’s no real difference aside the weight and the barrel length, but they keep making the Titan and charge it less because it’s the first gun they made.

5 hours ago, hre321 said:

I’m pretty sure there’s no real difference aside the weight and the barrel length, but they keep making the Titan and charge it less because it’s the first gun they made.

I talked to them on the phone about this and they say that the 4.6” is optimized for 9mm so it will return better than a 5”. I don’t have a Titan RDS and Athena to compare but I’m going to be testing a friends Hyperion (4.6” w/irons) to see if it shoots any better than my 9mm iron sighted Titan. 

• 1 year later...

Funny, just after I submitted that last post, the Atlas web site started saying "Call for Price" on all the models I checked, whereas moments before I saw prices listed.

How is it now?  Do you talk to them on the phone and dicker over prices?

Edited by GunBugBit

15 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Why would a 0.4" optimization cost around $1,500?

I would imagine there is more to the two models than just that. They've recently released a bunch of videos on their YouTubez channel that kind of highlights the differences between the various models they have.  And honestly they are probably falling into the same trap that a lot of makers end up in where they end up having a crazy amount of SKU's to cover every possible situation.  

But I think folks are finding a sub 5" slide length works (read: feels) better for 9mm (minor) - where as 4.25" is maybe a tad too short.  

On 2/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, steveac1 said:

wonder if Atlas would cut a 2 year old 40 Titan v2 for their optic setup making it an RDS or iron sited 40. 

Dave over at DSC Gunworks will mill your iron sight Atlas for the Atlas optic cut. You can have the exposed optic cut spot coated (cerakote) or he can DLC or PVD your whole slide