Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX Competition Gen3 Upgrade Must Haves 2023

After searching and searching and not coming up with any recent consensus, I figured I'd make this post. 

Ive been wanting to get into a PCC for USPSA use and had my mind set on a JP-5, after seeing the 4 month lead time.. I was a bit turned off.  The following week I came across a great deal on a MPX 16" competition which already had some upgrades that was too hard to pass up.  I would just like to get this thing set up from the get go and then do a ton of training with it in its final form.

It already has:

Factory Timney Trigger

TTI magwell

ILWT enlarged gas port to 0.0625

ILWT relieved feed ramp / honed gas port

ILWT adjustable gas plug

Who currently offers the most effective muzzle device these days?  I have the capability of cutting the barrel down to 14.5 and P/W a device if needed or cutting / rethreading for a brake/comp that has justifiable benefits.

I already plan to order a Radian or NLA charging handle.

Is there any other "must have" upgrades to these PCCs?  I would like to do this once and not kick myself down the road for not doing something sooner / buying things twice because i "didnt know".  

Thanks in advance!!

Don't worry about the muzzle device. Stock MPX shoots quite well. Honestly, I wouldn't buy any other upgrades as that just makes the gun closer and closer to the JP-5 in price. For future reference, you can call JP directly and ask for ready-to-ship models or purchase from ShootersConnection (they restock every few weeks and don't charge sales tax for non Kentuckians).

@Bdh821 has the most experience with the MPX platform here, perhaps he has some insights.

5 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

Don't worry about the muzzle device. Stock MPX shoots quite well. Honestly, I wouldn't buy any other upgrades as that just makes the gun closer and closer to the JP-5 in price. For future reference, you can call JP directly and ask for ready-to-ship models or purchase from ShootersConnection (they restock every few weeks and don't charge sales tax for non Kentuckians).

@Bdh821 has the most experience with the MPX platform here, perhaps he has some insights.

My MPX' mod list

Hiperfire eclipse

TTI buffer tube conversion with Geissele tube

Hogue Overmold stock

Magpul K2 grip

Radian Raptor charging handle

optics... 

Otherwise, my MPX' are internally stock.  Keep the gas system clean.  A clean gun is a reliable gun....  I've found that once you modify the internals, issues start happening.   To the original question, I'd agree with Tony that muzzle devices basically don't do anything other than deflect noise back.  The MPX is an amazing shooting PCC and I'd think it would be tough to improve with mods.  I'd say the better thing to try and achieve is 100% reliability.  Ammo being used will help or ruin that percentage.  

I appreciate the input.  I will stick with the factory brake.

At the moment I have the folding tube with a magpul sl-k.  It seems pretty rigid and being milspec, will accept any compatible stock.  Any particular reason you went with the TTI adapter / AR tube other than the possibility you may have an order model with the proprietary folder?

• 5 months later...

Maybe your MPX differs from mine but my carbine has 13.1”  barrel and a pinned and welded 3” flash hider making it 16.1” .

Newer MPX models have a brake instead of the flash hider but as I understand it the barrel is still 13.1” 

I’ve looked at muzzle brakes to replace the flash hider. The TTI model is a full 1” shorter which would require an extension to make it 16” and both the brake and extension would need to be p/w to be legal. 
I’m leaning toward keeping the flash hider. 

btw I use a Hiperfire Eclipse

and a Magpul UBR stock for my preferred balance. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

If you are still looking for a muzzle device/compensator, I highly recommend that you look into the UM Tactical RAGE:

Be sure to select the correct threads option for the MPX.  It is highly customizable if you take the time to try all the different baffle options it comes with.  The optional flash hider is also recommended if you do any night/indoor shooting.  If you contact them (be sure and ask for Brian), they will help narrow your baffle options down depending on the rifle and barrel length you are using.

Also, the MPX loves high gas/high-speed full power bullets such as 115gr (I.E.: Fiocchi 115gr ammo).  That is what mine and other MPX run best with.

Lastly, keep it clean including the piston to also ensure reliability. 

Robert Otte is a master gunsmith for the MPX and sells both parts and services to enhance your firearm.  He also has a discussion group specific to the MPX on Facebook:

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!

😎