Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can You Recommend A Vertical Foregrip For Monopoding?

Religious Shooter

From other threads here I guess you can 1) take off a vertical foregrip (VF) at will in Limited/Tactical and 2) use a VF as a monopod.

Can anybody recommend a VF that can be used as a good monopod? It would be ideal (for me) that the height that the VF lifts the gun would correspond to the height a 30 rounder with an Arredondo basepad lifts a gun.

I primarily want to use it to monopod when using a Beta-C. Also I want to experiment in using it on barricades (putting the upside-down L against the top of a barricade). So it should also be sturdy enough to get smacked against a barricade multiple times.

RS,

That would be a very long VFG! I'm not sure I've seen one that long.

On a different note, I recently saw a VFG that has a retractible bi-pod built into it. Of course, that would take you out of Tactical/Limited and put you in Open in many 3 gun matches.

See it here

Edited by chp5

RS,

Like CHP5 stated, I don't think you're going to find a VF that is long enough to monopod the rifle with Arrendondo's + 30 rounders. If you're looking to monopod, I would take the Arrendondo's off my mags. Just about any VF will work, it's more of a preference choice as to which companies VF feels good in your hand. When I choose to monopod off the VF, I usually choke up on the VF. Generally, the top two fingers of my support hand are on the VF. This technique allows me to adjust the elevation of the muzzle as needed.

PM me and I'll give you some alternative suggestions for bracing on a barricade.

Erik

On a different note, I recently saw a VFG that has a retractible bi-pod built into it. Of course, that would take you out of Tactical/Limited and put you in Open in many 3 gun matches.

See it here

That's a cool VF. Unlike the websites for other VF's (go figure...) this one actually lists its height --- 5.75".

I measured from my handguard to the tip of an attached 30 rounder with the Arredondo basepad and got ~6.75". A plain 30 rounder is ~6.25".

Depending on the rail I use, if I use a QD attachment (ARMS), use one of those Yankee Hill risers I can get at least close to a plain 30-rounder's height.

But @ $160.00 delivered... :wacko:

I can't recomend a VFG for anything :D but I would like to thank Eric and Relig. for pointing out a bit of a annomaly in the rules. If I am doing the RM3-G this year for rules and scoring I think I will clean that up a little bit. If it is on at the start it has to be on at the finish ( first day of the match, last day of the match ) this would include "rings", lighting devices, and VFG. KURTM

As a benevolent dictator, I know what is good for you :D I will not religate those in my relm to the drugery of just 30 rounds. If I were to limit any capacity it would be to 20 so Mini-14s could play as well, but since those upstats from accross the sea made that horrible magazine for the AR-18 and those darn Germans made the H&K 93 magazine hold more than 30 I can't limit AMERICANS to less!!!!! Besides as we grow older and rounder a 40 rounder makes a better mono-pod as it is higher :D .........BUT I don't know if I am going to do it :lol: KURTM

One could easily fabricate a plug that threads into the bottom of a Knight's or Falcon industries vertical grip to make it longer.

AFAIK there aren't any rules about carrying a rucksack with you to the firing postion dropping it and using it as support for your rifle. Some long range stages that could be worth the hassle if you're shooting multiple targets from a single position.