Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1301 Loading issue ?

Straightshot069

Good morning. 

I'm new to the forum and hoping I'm posting this in the right area.

I just received a new 1301 Tactical LE.

It didn't come with an owners manual so I went online for info on something as basic as loading the tube mag.

The problem I'm having is per Beretta, load 1 in the chamber then commence to loading the tube.

The first round slides in and every time the second round goes in it automatically sends that round out onto the lifter. Then there's no more loading into the tube.

I've tried this every way I can think of, and the second round always clicks in, then immediately out onto the lifter ?

The only way I can load the tube is to lock the bolt back and physically hold the lifter up while feeding into the tube.

The only other auto I've owned was a 930 SPX and it was cake.

Am I missing something here ?

I've searched quite a bit on the web and can't find this issue, or a remedy. 

Any help would sure be appreciated before I call Beretta.

Thanks

If I load 1 in the chamber, safety on, then move to loading the tube, it except the first round but as soon as I slide the second round into the tube and remove my thumb it automatically throws round #2 up an on to the lifter.

I've tried this about twenty times.

Exact the same scenario every time.

I can't seem to get ahold of Beretta.

Online or over there phone on the 800 Beretta # ext 2003 ( for technical support) this extension is not valid.

I was extremely stoked about getting this shot gun and now I'm just at my wit's end.

At this point it may as well have a 3 round plug in it.

I appreciate the feedback.

I was really hoping it was me and my inexperience with Beretta's function. 

The 1301 Tactical has a different Cartridge Latch than the 1301 Comp.  

1301 Comp Cartridge Latch

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C5F184

image.jpeg.46570afedc834132d2670e096542676d.jpeg   image.jpeg.20a8bfa1ba375db51f1d5fe6e91f1e3d.jpeg

1301 Tactical

image.jpeg.2a6c0d9ceaacc1bbed15144188a63681.jpeg   image.jpeg.27bf60cf50f69c1d914d1bd717636519.jpeg

The difference is to prevent accidental double feeds that happen if the rear of the Comp style latch button is 'accidentally' depressed releasing two shells from the mag while the bolt is closed.  This makes the Comp very easy to unload, just raise the lifter and press down on the back of the latch, but this drives the tactimmies crazy.   The Tactical latch will also release shells from the tube with the bolt closed, but you have to lift up on the front of the latch button to release the shells.  The Tactical latch button is a slip on cover.  If the cover is too far forward it can overlap the handguard and hold the cartridge latch partially open.  

If the cover is overlapping the handguard, push it back off the handguard.  If it's not on the handguard, try removing it by just pushing it off towards the muzzle.  It may be necessary to either remove the handguard or lift the front of the latch while pushing.  Then try loading the mag tube full, then chamber a dummy round.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

Flip your shotgun loading port up and slide a dummy round into the tube, the cartridge latch should look like this.

If the cartridge latch looks like the second photo, either the latch is bent or something is holding the latch out of position.

Nolan

IMG_2590A.jpg

IMG_2591A.jpg

I don't know if this helps or not, but when you put the trigger housing in after disassembly you have to press the mag release button while you rock the assembly into the frame. If not it can impede the shell cutoff lever. 

50 minutes ago, kurtm said:

I don't know if this helps or not, but when you put the trigger housing in after disassembly you have to press the mag release button while you rock the assembly into the frame. If not it can impede the shell cutoff lever. 

I'll keep that in mind. I haven't even had it broke down yet.

Just pulled it out of the box yesterday and immediately went to scratching my head on loading the tube.

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Flip your shotgun loading port up and slide a dummy round into the tube, the cartridge latch should look like this.

If the cartridge latch looks like the second photo, either the latch is bent or something is holding the latch out of position.

Nolan

IMG_2590A.jpg

IMG_2591A.jpg

Thanks Nolan.

I'll take a look at it.

It's odd, last night it was every second round, every time.

Today it was second, third, first.

I think it's definitely in that latch.

Could that latch have slid forward into the mag tube further ?

Or is it a fixed position, and can't move fore or aft ?

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Nolan

IMG_2590A.jpg

IMG_2591A.jpg

Well, I just checked it and it's about half way between both of those pics.  It definitely isn't protruded out on the case as far as your first pic.

It's actually pretty close to the second pic.

1 minute ago, Straightshot069 said:

Well, I just checked it and it's about half way between both of those pics.  It definitely isn't protruded out on the case as far as your first pic.

It's actually pretty close to the second pic.

I probably need to tear it down and clean everything and see if I can get in there and get a closer look at that latch assembly. No owners manual so it's time to Google disassembly. 

I appreciate the pic's Nolan that definitely helped. There's something up in that latch.

With an empty chamber and bolt closed slide one shell into the tube, making sure the shell rim is forward of the shell latch.

Will the latch move over under its spring pressure (toward the center line of the receiver) and hold that shell in the tube?

Can you move that shell in the magazine tube side to side and get it the slip past the latch and back in to the receiver?

Edited by GunCat

The Gen 1 (?) 1301 Tactical owners manual is located here:

https://manualzz.com/doc/56025046/beretta-1301-tactical-instruction-manual

This is the same manual that came with mine, even though mine (Gen 2 ?) has the new style C5H273 cartridge latch button and the manual shows the C5F184 button used on the 1301 Comp.  

Nolan

6 hours ago, Nolan said:

The Gen 1 (?) 1301 Tactical owners manual is located here:

https://manualzz.com/doc/56025046/beretta-1301-tactical-instruction-manual

This is the same manual that came with mine, even though mine (Gen 2 ?) has the new style C5H273 cartridge latch button and the manual shows the C5F184 button used on the 1301 Comp.  

Nolan

Thanks again Nolan.

I read somewhere that Beretta will send one if I can actually get ahold of them.

That seems to be a chore.

This one will give me what I need for now.

11 hours ago, GunCat said:

With an empty chamber and bolt closed slide one shell into the tube, making sure the shell rim is forward of the shell latch.

Will the latch move over under its spring pressure (toward the center line of the receiver) and hold that shell in the tube?

Can you move that shell in the magazine tube side to side and get it the slip past the latch and back in to the receiver?

Thanks GunCat. Ok, the latch springs back under it's own pressure, and I can't wiggle the shell and get it past the latch.

The latch is barely holding the rim ( just about like Nolans second pic).

If I load with my thumb until I feel the rim snap past the latch it'll pop the second one out onto the lifter.

If I push the shell about 1/2" past where I feel the rim go past the latch it will load.

But I have to push each one past the latch about 1/2".

Which seems pretty excessive. 

My 930 SPX is just a snap past the latch.

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some crap up inside the latch tang or if the face of that latch has an issue ?

Something is amiss. Once the shell clears the front of the latch it should not matter if you push it 1.00” or .001” more. Clearance is clearance.

Does the front end of the shell lifter contact the latch when loading?

16 hours ago, GunCat said:

Something is amiss. Once the shell clears the front of the latch it should not matter if you push it 1.00” or .001” more. Clearance is clearance.

Does the front end of the shell lifter contact the latch when loading?

No it doesn't.  There's about 1/8" clearance there.

It looks like the spring loaded tang on the latch is just not coming out all the way.

I'm thinking get in there with some brake kleen and try to blow out that mechanism.

1 hour ago, Straightshot069 said:

No it doesn't.  There's about 1/8" clearance there.

It looks like the spring loaded tang on the latch is just not coming out all the way.

I'm thinking get in there with some brake kleen and try to blow out that mechanism.

Dunno how comfortable you are with stuff like this, but I had mine out (on my 391) to put the tactical latch on the field gun I was using for three gun, and it wasn't that difficult.  There might be a pebble or some other debris in there, or perhaps a bent or broken spring.  If a piece of shot got up in there it would act just like it is acting. 😀 

No one said they put the trigger group in it right from the factory. Pull the trigger group, push the shell release in while reinserting the trigger group and give it a try. While you have the trigger group out look for any foreign junk. It is easy to do, and takes almost no time at all!